It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
(male)

mrknuckle HB User
brain fog

Hi All----------

was at the hospital with my wife the other day and as lunch time rolled around I decided to get my daily exercise by walking to the store around the corner.It was a short walk but coming back I got hit with some major fatigue (my stamina is getting worse) and got just as confused and lost in a town I have lived in 30 years on a road I have been on thousands of times--- if you would have dropped me in a jungle blindfolded at night I wouldn't have been more lost than I was for those 5 minutes, luckily it is physically impossible to miss the hospital in the direction I was wondering or I may still be out there---the fog cleared after a bit of rest but what is it that causes this kind of thing to come and go?And all the time in the back of your mind the idea that I should have known exactly where I was like a map hiding in my brain somewhere that I just couldn't reach.

it is scary and frustrating when this stuff hits like this...

much love------------knuckle

I don't know much,but I am learnin

Old 12-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: brain fog

I got lost in 2002 driving home from work. I spent 6 months having my wife drive me. Luckily I have not had that happen again while driving. When I leave the store I always tell my service dog "truck" and he will lead me to the truck. If he can learn to drive, I will have no worries!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 12-10-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: oops

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: brain fog

Knuckle. Interesting that you would post about this. Because I am still active in the work force, and due to the fact that I cover 100-200 miles a day- I have had this happen to me as well. I got lost once on a road which actually goes behind my neighborhood! Scary, overwhelming and definately gets you thinking...

So I went out and bought a GPS which is small enough to carry in my pocket. It was actually pretty inexpensive...I have everything of importance programmed into it, and now, never leave home without it. Crazy as it sounds, there are times when I am 30 miles from home and know exactly where I am and where Im headed..and there are times when Im a mile from home and nothing looks familiar.

So to take this a step further, I started journaling details on when Brain Fog hit the hardest....I came up with stress definately kicks it in. Not getting enough rest does it...emotional distress is a big one. Being either a fight with the hubby, or waiting for test results for one of us and also the type of work I do, which is extremely emotional, can set me off. These times, if I dont pay attention to my body and really truly force myself to both sleep and exercise- I find that brain fog is at its highest and to be honest, im not anywhere near my best. Is it completely MS related? Not sure...but probably. I can manage to write a dissertation, work a 60 hour a week work week, feed my family and get holiday shopping done (mostly online) and be FINE. But give me one "off" day and I get lost, break into tears, forget where Im going or why Im going there and on top of it all, start feeling anxiety creep up, my legs go numb....you know what Im talking about. So, my suggestion is to keep a log of when you feel like this and see if you can reduce it from happening, by paying attention to the triggers.

Very interesting to hear how this affects others. Im sure its MS at its finest which does this to us, but like all other MS things, it seems to hit many of us differently. thanks for sharing your story.
Nikki

Closed Thread