It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
(female)

kozzleme HB User
Liver count high--Avonex

FINAL RESULTS--on avonex since 1992--liver count high in july 2009
liver count almost nil in dec 2009
NEOURO-blames avonex---GP blames cholesterol med and aleeve with avonex----all I know is I getting better--AVONEX uses BE CAREFUL have your blood checked regularly and READ any additional meds or supplements that say can cause liver damage THROW OUT
BE CAREFUL PAT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Liver count high--Avonex

I am glad to see you in better shape!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Liver count high--Avonex

Kozzle, Im glad you are in better shape too...BUT you should know by now that almost everyone gets spiked liver enzymes in the first 6-8 months of using ALL the Interferons (Rebif, Avonex and Betaseron). Its not unusal at all...and in 99% of the cases, the liver enzymes go back to normal within 3-5 months.

I too, had the same thing happen 4 years ago, on Rebif.

if you read the insert of Avonex, its listed as a side effect and if you read up on liver enzymes and interferons, youll see the correlation.

Liver enzymes that do NOT go down, are a problem, but thats less then 1% of cases...

So what you experienced is actually normal.

Aleve, taken as directed- wont hurt your liver. GPs not familiar with Interferons, wont know to study this, unless you point it out...and any Neuro prescribing the drugs is aware that this is a common problem and knows to check blood levels every 3 months, which is what the prescribing info states.
But, Im very happy you are back to normal.

Hope your holidays were Merry!
Nikki

Closed Thread