It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2001, 09:49 PM   #1

wirenut8 HB User
Question Peripheral Neuropathy with MS

I am curious to know if anyone has a peripheral neuropathy, verified through an EMG/NCV, secondary to MS and resulting from an autoimmune condition? I do know of cases where a person can have both conditions, however I don't know how common this is and I don't know if there's a connection between the two via an autoimmune component. I do know that MS does not affect the peripheral nerves, however the same problem within the immune system that causes diseases such as MS is also known to cause a peripheral neuropathy.

Old 09-06-2001, 08:00 PM   #2

Winston Von Hurbulis HB User
I typed in my symptoms on a search engine, and ms came up. I have had a loss of vision in my left eye, ever so slight in the left quadrant (I noticed it when I was driving). I have muscle pain, and I have some tingling in the extremities. I run, swim, bike and teach/compete in jiu jitsu so the muscle pain is normal, but the slight numbness in the hands and feet is a bit unnerving. I am going to have an emg soon. I'll let you know the results.
Peace out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2001, 08:54 AM   #3

its-me-sue HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by wirenut8:
I am curious to know if anyone has a peripheral neuropathy, verified through an EMG/NCV, secondary to MS and resulting from an autoimmune condition? I do know of cases where a person can have both conditions, however I don't know how common this is and I don't know if there's a connection between the two via an autoimmune component. I do know that MS does not affect the peripheral nerves, however the same problem within the immune system that causes diseases such as MS is also known to cause a peripheral neuropathy.
Can you be more specific? I was told by my doctor that I do have peripheral neuropathy. No real problem with the nerves in my leg and arms themselves, but because of the demyelination in my brain the signals are not getting through the way they should, thereby causing peripheral neuropathy. Are you looking for something else that can cause the same symptoms as MS? HTLV 1, Celiac disease and the associated DH, Lyme, etc. There are several immune system disorders that you can have along with a diagnosis of MS that can cause peripheral neuropathy. I'm just not sure what it is you're asking.
Sue

Old 10-19-2001, 08:56 AM   #4

wirenut8 HB User
Thumbs up

Sue:
You provided some direction for me. I wanted to know if MS can actually cause a peripheral neuropathy or peripheral neuropathy appearance on exam. I have spent the better part of a year with a neurologist who created more questions than answers. I have all the symptoms of MS, all other conditions have been ruled out, with the exception of a peripheral neuropathy. I am a borderline diabetic and naturally this is suspect in the eyes of the doctors. I have had two EMG/NCV in the past year. The first was perfectly normal, the second, six months later, slightly different from the first, but basically inconclusive. The neurologist suggested that I see an Endocronologist for a better evaluation of my diabetes. The Endocronoligist tells me that my symptoms are not consistent with a diabetic peripheral neuropathy. That was my belief all along, based on extensive research into the condition. I have an appointment with a neurologist who specializes in MS and is part of an MS clinic at a major Chicago hospital. I have read that a neurologist who follows only a handful of MS patients lacks the experienced to accurately diagnose and treat the condition. I am told that one needs to find a doctor well exposed and experienced with MS patients and who is affilated with an acedemic hospital. This is my next step in early November. Did you have an EMG/NCV that revelaed a peripheral neuropathy?

Old 10-26-2001, 08:46 AM   #5

its-me-sue HB User
Hey Wirenut8, I'm in your general area (south suburbs). I'd be interested in talking to you via telephone if that's possible. Is there anyway to exchange that information without posting it all over the internet? I'm even leary of posting my email address because I don't know if it's acceptable in this forum. Anyone have any ideas?
Sue

Closed Thread