It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
(male)

just1primate HB User
MS Related?

For the past two weeks I have had serious intestinal and stomach stuff going on, but went to ER and they just said I was backed up. My stomach and what feels like my intestines on both sides under ribs and through to back burn and ache. And I burp ALOT. GERD? IBS? Have an appointment at the GI doc next week. Also have had minimal appetite, have to be super careful what I eat. Back hurts, all over, worse in those areas though. Can GERD cause all this pain all over?

Is this all Possibly MS related as well? Ugh...

Old 12-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Re: MS Related?

It could be MS related, if you went to the ER, I'm assuming they tested you for pancreatitis. Your symptoms sound like that. Keep us posted, I've been having some GI stuff myself lately.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Just1- I wish I could send you the biggest virtual hug ever!! (instead I send you a bounce!) You poor thing. In the past month, you have posted continuously about things which you are either worried about, or are taking you to the doctors for check ups.

Can I be completely honest? If its MS- youre going to have to learn to roll with some of this and let it come and go- as most things MS do...however, Im not making light of your stomache problems. It does sound like it could be Gerd- and yes, it can cause what you are describing...however, stomache and constipation problems are a huge part of MS- and if thats all it turns out to be, you are going to experience this now and then.

In fact, almost all of your aches and pains could very well be random MS things...but then again, one of the biggest mistakes new MSers make, is to think that EVERYTHING is MS- and they dont realize that just like "normal, healthy people" we also get sore throats, flus and common colds! We also get indigestion, constipation and muscle aches! MS doesnt cause them, it just makes us more prone to them because of our already compromised immune systems.

Just 1- I just feel so badly for you. Youve had a rough couple of months...please do go see the GI doc and make sure its nothing serious, and let us know what he says...and in the meantime, hang in there. As you get more and more used to this disease, youll start to realize that its not as life changing as it appears at this time.

Big hugs, and try to have a happy, healthy new year.
Nikki

Old 01-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
(male)

just1primate HB User

I assume they did as well Sunshine. I know they did an Ultrasound of my gall bladder area, and some x-rays. I assume if it was indeed pancreatitis they would have picked up on that? They didn't do blood work, because I had been at the ER just a week or so earlier for some other issues and they 'assumed' my blood work would be no different. I have noticed that the last few times I have had blood work, my white count is always slightly elevated, ie 13.4-14 with a reference range of 8-12 or something. So no MAJOR infection, just a constant slight elevation. I believe I read somewhere we MS'ers can also see that chronic WBC count

Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

Yes, they probably tested for it. I've been having extreme nausea for the past 9 months (about once a week) and this recently turned into heart burn and stomach pain so I have been taking zantac for the past 3 weeks. I would have pain just in my stomach, if it radiates to your back, this can indicate a more serious problem, however it can also be stress. I HATE saying that because I think so often doctors say stress when they can't figure it out. I think you should definitely check it out. Please keep us posted!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
(male)

just1primate HB User

I guess its more like my sides/back....but kidney function was fine. Maybe its the dreaded HUG accompanied by the normal MS GI issues Joy and JOYNESS!

Closed Thread