It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
(female)

donna045 HB User
ms?

Hello, I am 48 years old. About 2-3 months ago, I started out with numbness on right side of body from my face down my whole right side . I went to er a couple of times and they did a ct scan of the brain. It came back normal. I was discharged they were saying a dx of a possible tia.

They said I was to have a echo & carotid doppler . I had those tests the next day and also had a tee, all came back good with my heart.

I then went and saw a neuro dr. who gave me a milllion tests which consists of a mri of the head which showed more interval increase in scattered punctate foci of high t2flair signal lesions involving the bilateral frontal and parietal subcotical white matter non specific. They also did a mri of the neck and spine and lumbar & thoraic and also a mra which showed some some degenerative disc disease & bulging and also some disc narrowing , but the doctor doesnt say that it has anything to do with whats going on. I also had a transcranial doppler which showed increased blood flow to the brain . I had evoked testing which came back okay. Then had a eeg which came back abnormal but nothing leading to this .

They thought maybe silent seizures. I also had loads of blood work which showed abnormal hypercoagulation which saids my blood is thick and i am at risk for blood clots but never had 1. They also did the baer evoked testing on me which came back good except on my leg. Which Doctor explains as the feeling takes a slower process to go to the brain.

Meanwhile I still keep getting that strange feeling in my face on the right side which feels sometimes like numbness and sometimes just a feeling thats there.
My dr wants to do a lumbar puncture for ms, but I dont want it.
I went for 2nd opinion the other day they do not feel its necessary that if i have ms due to my age said this would be the extent of it it would not progress. ALso he said that most people do not just get it at age 48. I should then continue my baby aspirin. He gave me a b12 shot that did nothing.

Also now I am getting panic attacks due to this and it is starting to get worse . Cant do this want to get to the bottom of this and feel better. I sometimes still feel it has something to do with my neck , next stop spine doctors at the end of jan. I dont want spinal tap. It seems more drs. are saying more likely than not that i have ms. The Doctor seemed to tell the Lumbar would tell if I had Ms.

The only other sympon I get is dizzy spells about 3-4 times a week that may last just a minute or so. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on what could be wrong that the drs may not be checking for. Thanks

Last edited by donna045; 12-31-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: rambling on sentences

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: ms?

Donna - I am going to apologize up front and tell you, I can just barely make heads and tails of your post.

As a MSer, its hard to read run on sentences and thoughts which have no punctuation. Also, without breaking this up into paragraphs, I cant follow it very well.

I am NOT trying to be a grammer teacher, but speaking for myself only- my type of MS makes it very difficult to follow posts like yours. If you would be willing to edit it, and put some structure into it, Id be happy to try again. I really did try to understand what you wrote, and i came up with two things to give you feedback on.

Age 48 is NOT too late to get MS. You probabaly had it for many years without symtoms, which is why you had no idea - and now its just showing up.
AND, a LP or spinal tap will not diagnose MS. It will simply show signs of immune disorders (possibly) but quite a few of us have MS without having a positive LP.

You need, a MRI to check for lesions of the brain and spine. You also need a good neuro to go over your tests. The tests you mentioned are not for MS specifically, but they do rule out other things....have a decent Neuro review them.

Good luck to you and remember that anxiety and panic can definately produce many of the symtoms you mentioned...try to relax and if that isnt working for you, talk to your doc about some anti-anxiety meds. They will help you better cope with what is going on....
Happy New Year.
Nikki

Old 01-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
(female)

donna045 HB User

Thanks I guess I was just rambling on I think its better now

Old 01-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Glad to hear it.....happy new year.

Closed Thread