It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2002, 12:35 AM   #1
(female)

wenron HB User
Post Smoking in bed device for disabled....

I know someone with MS who is looking for a safer smoking device that will hold the cigarette while in bed. If you know how to get this, please let me know.

Thank you.

Old 07-04-2002, 04:56 PM   #2
Inactive

F-Man HB User
I hope you're joking

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2002, 11:43 AM   #3
(female)

wenron HB User
No, I am not joking. This is someone who has 3 caregivers and insists on smoking in bed. The risk of home burning down is great. But shaky hands while smoking in bed makes the risk even higher.

Old 07-06-2002, 05:31 PM   #4
(female)

RedeemedHeart HB User
Cool

I worked in a hospital in the 1980's when you could still smoke in your hospital room. I have seen patients with emphysema take their last breath with a cigarette in their hand. It was actually not that uncommon.
However, I doubt that there is any kind of device made by a medical company for smoking purposes since the most helpful thing both for this persons (and all others) health and safety would be to quit smoking.
You might be able to find something someone else in a similar situation has come up with on line.
Quitting smoking is very difficult but the rewards are enormous. Maybe with some encouragement this person will re-think this habit.
Blessings,
Kathy

Old 07-07-2002, 09:08 AM   #5
Inactive

F-Man HB User
I can't imagine such a device exists. Can you imagine the law suits you would open yourself up to by selling a device that makes it easier for people to smoke in bed? It sounds like you are in a quandry. I can't imagine anyone doing something to encourage a friend to smoke in bed, but I guess you're saying the guy is going to do it, so you want to at least make it as safe as possible. There is no safe way to smoke, especially in bed. Having such a device might give him a false sense of security and actually increase the risk. I'd say you're better off trying to get him to stop smoking. I figure, MS is enough for your body to deal with, you don't need to self inflict even more health problems. Sorry to preach to you. I'm a former smoker myself.

Old 07-08-2002, 06:36 PM   #6
(female)

wenron HB User
Okay, I am a nurse and my manager said that one of our previous patients (Home Health) had a device that sat on the table and a mouth piece that held the cigarette right to the mouth. This person also wears a smokers bib. I hate knowing this person is smoking in bed, but they said they can't give it up even after patches, gum and will power. So, if you educate someone on the risks of burning self and house down and they still insist, what's the next best thing? I know the VA use to make a device but our occupational therapist said she couldn't find them anylong. Maybe there was a law suit...wouldn't surprise me. I guess there is nothing out there...oh well..I'll keep encouraging this person to quit smoking...thanks everyone.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
(female)

saraclint HB User
Re: Smoking in bed device for disabled....

I was looking for the same type of device! I'm a CNA @ a nursing home. We have a paraplegic who will not quit smoking and that is his right. Part of my job is to keep him protected. Our residents also wear smoking aprons. This particular resident does not have use of his hands, therefore his only option is to hold the cigarette in his mouth throughout the duration of the smoking session.
My boss said that she's seen an assistive device that is like a shapeable tube that goes behind the neck and around to in front of the mouth. I've been searching online all night!!! If you have found any solutions, please let me know.
Sära

Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Just to let you know, this post is over 6 years old and I doubt very much that the original poster will respond....
Having worked in nursing homes the past few years- Ive NEVER seen a patient who was allowed to smoke inside the home..interesting. Good luck with your question..

Old 07-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
(female)

saraclint HB User

OMG I didn't even look at the year! Our residents don't smoke inside. There is a home in Vevay that has a smoking room inside though.

Last edited by saraclint; 07-16-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Well in a smoking room situation, I'd assume it's supervised? If so, there would be less worry about the dangers of such a request. I can see how some would want to have something to hold the cigarette for them.

Honestly, they should quit. No one should smoke, but it's a terrible habit to quit. Also, I suppose some do want to continue that 1 'pleasure' in their condition.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
(female)

jlbrow7 HB User

I have the utmost empathy for folks who have lost use of their physical capabilities. If they need it, I'm all for them smoking or drinking or doing whatever gets them through their days as long as it doesn't hurt another person. I'm sure life doesn't pass in the blink of an eye for them.

Last edited by jlbrow7; 07-16-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Closed Thread