It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

Marie1973 HB User
EMG or MRI

What does each tell in diagnosing MS please?
Can an EMG alone tell?
Does an EMG show some signs that you may have MS or does it rule something else out?

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: EMG or MRI

Hi an EMG only shows electrical currents associated with muscle contractions; it wont tell you anything about MS; however it can rule out things like Carpal Tunnel, which is often the first thing a doctor looks at with nerve pain, muscle contractions.....

A MRI is a magnet which shows slices of the brain/ spine- whatever is being scanned....this picks up lesions, which are indicative of MS. Lesions can also be from migranes, prior brain truama, and infections...only a Neurologist can really tell the difference between a MS type lesion and other lesions...the size, shape and placement of them helps direct them to the proper type or diagnosis.

Keeping in mind that there is no ONE test for MS- ruling out everything else IS important, so dont walk away from an EMG because it wont "tell" if you have MS, it might tell that you have something else, and its NOT Multiple Sclerosis.

if you have more questions about diagnosing MS, you might want to read up on the McDonald Criteria, which is what doctors use to dx the disease. You can search it out here on healthboards and get more info....however, the gist of it, is LESIONS, SYMTOMS and HISTORY .....these things lead to a MS dx...you cannot get a dx without at least mutiple lesions, specific symtoms and a time frame of how they present.

Hope this helps?
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
(female)

Marie1973 HB User

Thank you Nikki.I'm going for am EMG on Wednesday.First the neuorologist had said MRI then EMG,then she changed it to EMG first, when I asked her what the MRI was to rule or rule out.

She had mentioned MS as a possiblity so I'm trying to learn all I can about it.

I had some muscle spasms on my left hand involving my middle and ring fingers and then weakness and pain in the left arm.This happened last Tuesday,and is still present.

It came out of nowhere and the spasms aren't painful or anything,it's just strange how parts of your body move without you making it do so.

I was concerned about the heart since it's my left arm,but had 2 EKG's and both were fine.

My wrist is not involved,so carpal tunnel is unlikely.
I'm a 36 y.o. female with no medical history,so this is just out of the blue for me.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Youre welcome. Many of us, myself included start out with weird hand/ finger wrist things... I woke up one morning 5 years ago, with no feeling in my hand and fingers, like it was asleep! I gave it 2 days, went to my doctors who insisted it was Carpal Tunnel, and gave me an EMG, but it was normal. Then, they told me it was a pinched nerve (that seemed more likely) and was sent for a CT scan....the CT scan showed abnormalities and a neurologist was called in who immediately sent me into a MRI..

That MRI was very telling. With my results showing over 50 lesions, and my host of symtoms, I was given a MS diagnosis.... 4 years later, thats my only real complaint. I have complete loss of use of my left hand and fingers. They react when I use them. I can hold things and pick things up= however, I cant feel them at all...kind of makes burning myself a regular thing! Overall, MS is controllable for me..

Good luck, let me know how it turns out.
Nikki

Closed Thread