It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
(male)

willy856 HB User
possible symptoms? worried sick

My Brother was diagnosed with ms around 25 years ago, I don't know how much this changes my chances. I found various articles that claim a genetic component and others that dispute it. My brother has been fortunate, he is 50 years old and is still able to do everything.
I am 45 years old and have a few weird feelings that I might dismiss if he didn't have MS. The top of my left foot has this burning feeling that comes and goes. The pain is intense and lasts for a few seconds or a minute. This happens once or twice a week. Recently I have been waking up with numb hands. The feeling goes away in a few minutes, then comes back towards the end of the day. I am in construction so carpal tunnel is a possibility.
My vision is changing but it could be due to getting older.
I was the last person that anyone would view as a hypochondriac, but as I get older I don't feel as indestructible.
I made an appointment with a Neurologist, but it's not until mid February.

Thank you.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: possible symptoms? worried sick

Willy, mid Feb isnt that far away....hang tight pal.

MS isnt hereditary, however they are studying the fact that their might be a predispostion in families to pass on a gene, which is generic to auto-immune diseases. Its fairly rare to find two people in the same family with MS, but not unheard of. More often, one person will have MS, while another might have Rheumatoid Arthritis....also an auto-immune disease.

You already know what to expect with the Neuro appt- so until you get there there isnt much we can offer you except prayers of strength- but the symtoms you describe could be attributed to many things- some neurological, some just the natural aging process. I have MS, my husband is a construction worker, and lately he has been complaining of many of my symtoms...i call them sympathy pains, but I often wonder- could it be??? In your case (and also his) I also wonder if the winter weather is getting him down and affecting his feet and hands...he wont go to a Neuro- 4 years of watching me stick needles in myself is enough for him; however, like your brother Im doing really well- and its not stopping me from anything that I would be doing anyway....

Keep us posted and let us know how things go. We will be here if you need us.
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread