It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

lrblunck HB User
No insurance

My husband quit his job which leaves me with no health insurance, I couldnt let him continue to work at a job he hated anymore for his own sake and mine, but anyways where do I begin to find help I have talked to MSlifelines but heard nothing back and to my doctor but nothing back also so how am I to afford MRI's and my meds what to!!!! Thanks

Old 01-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: No insurance

Contact your state office. Here in Kansas the SRS (Social Rehab Services) handles assistance with cases like yours. I do not know what it is called in Nebraska. I know the MS Association also has funds available for MRIs. For Meds, contact the manufacturer and they might have a program to assist you. I hope your husband can find a job that fulfills all your needs.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: No insurance

Hi, in this country, COBRA insuarnce is possible...they have to offer you continuation of your coverage for 18 months, however you have to pay for it. Dont let your insurance coverage go if you can help it. Unfortunately, once you have a MS diagnosis, you wont be able to get a new insuarnce coverage for up to a year, even if your husband goes back to work. ITs called the pre-existing coverage clause...if u can afford the COBRA coverage until he finds another job, then you wont have a slip up or time lapse in your coverage at all.

Unfortuantely at this time of ecomonic downturn- quitting a job isnt a great idea. If you guys are really financially challenged, you can look for Medicaid coverage which is based on your finances, however it can take up to a year to get.

Keep calling MSlifelines- they might be able to keep you in your drugs- but they wont help with MRis, or blood work. You can talk to the MS socieity to see if anything exists in your area of the country; however, I would start with calling his previous employer's HR person and talk to them about COBRA. Its important. MSers cant be without insurance coverage if they want to continue to have doctors and drugs in their lives....

Nikki

Closed Thread