It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2003, 11:54 AM   #1

sofatigued HB User
Unhappy tight band feeling around trunk of body

has anyone had the tight band feeling around the trunk of the body...about the waist or a little higher? How can I get rid of it. Have had it for 10 yrs off and on and cannot find a med to rid me of this symptom that is very uncomfortable.
thx

Old 05-14-2003, 09:16 PM   #2

kathyab HB User
Hi, I just read your post and I have had that feeling but only in my are at the elbow,it felt like my hand was on fire and going to burst. It was actually quite frighting. I have had it a couple of times and I dont know what causes it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2003, 06:32 AM   #3

sofatigued HB User
thanks for your reply....I have this around the waist since I was diagnosed ten yrs ago. Off and on and it is very, very uncomfortable. Baclofen helps sometimes, however, not all the time...I haven't had anyone else tell of this symptom. Thanks for your imput.
laura

------------------

Old 05-16-2003, 02:27 PM   #4

msking HB User
Smile

My husband was diagnosed january 2003. He has complained of this "tire around his waist" feeling for many months. We still do not know any specifics as to why this feeling exists, but it is definitly due to the ms.

Old 05-16-2003, 03:22 PM   #5

sofatigued HB User
Smile

thx for replying msking,
this is one of the most annoying symptoms I have quite consistently. I trip and fall and go numb, etc...but this is really a bother. If you ever find anything that makes it go away...let me know. I am getting ready to start Avonex...maybe it will help.
laura

Old 12-26-2003, 04:29 PM   #6

terryrret HB User
Re: tight band feeling around trunk of body

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofatigued
has anyone had the tight band feeling around the trunk of the body...about the waist or a little higher? How can I get rid of it. Have had it for 10 yrs off and on and cannot find a med to rid me of this symptom that is very uncomfortable.
thx
I have the same thing and also around legs like a very tight pair of underwear. I'v had that for 13 years it just never gose away. I have spinal damage not MS but some of my problems are like MS like the spasms. I have so much other pain that that is something I just live with. Mine can't be as bad as yours
Terry

Old 01-01-2004, 03:20 PM   #7
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

My daughter has MS and has the same problem - it's called girdling. It's just another symptom of MS, just like the numbness and tingling in the limbs. When it gets really bad she uses steroids and it starts fading away...until the next time

Best wishes,
Juie

Old 01-11-2004, 01:18 PM   #8

Tumbled HB User

The tight band around the trunk is most commonly refered to as "MS hug". I dont have any advise for you as to how to releave symptoms but maybe by knowing what it is called you can find out more. Take care

I have to edit this after seeing the blue line under a word I used. If you see a blue line under the word called, do not click, it takes you to some phone service web site. I did not do it on purpose.

Last edited by Tumbled; 01-11-2004 at 01:30 PM.

Old 01-11-2004, 03:47 PM   #9

lbstover HB User

This is why I originally went to the doctor. They kept telling me it was my gall bladder since it was more prominent on my right side. I had every test they could run for gall bladder disease and they all came back negative. It took them over 2 years and they still didn't have any idea. I changed doctor and it on took him a little over a month to figure out that I had MS. It is an awful feeling and I sympathize with you.

Old 01-11-2004, 08:46 PM   #10

SapphireSky HB User

I have this sensation alot......my "MS hug" is just above my waist on the left side, from the middle of my back to my side near my ribcage. I hate it!! I have trouble falling asleep at night because it always shows up when I am lying on that side, and I have muscle spasms in that area on occasion.

I also get a weird feeling in my calves where it feels like I have tight socks on all the way up my calves.....kind of goofy since this happens even when I have bare legs.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #11
(female)

potala HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofatigued View Post
thanks for your reply....I have this around the waist since I was diagnosed ten yrs ago. Off and on and it is very, very uncomfortable. Baclofen helps sometimes, however, not all the time...I haven't had anyone else tell of this symptom. Thanks for your imput.
laura

------------------
Hello, i dont know if you are still member of this board, but would like to ask you how and if you managed to sort out your problems. Im having the same sympoms, its been few days now and im already fed up. My GP had no clue what ii could be and sent me off for an x-ray of spine. My trunk feels like a brick, its just a horrible feeling. And i also feel numbness in my fingertips and feet, when im sitting its ok, when i have to walk, i have to watch it, coz the feet feel numb as well. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
(male)

shepp10 HB User

hi-ya hope this helps it's known as the ms hug its where the messages get mixed up to tighten and relax the stomach muscles i find a lumber belt works quite well and this probably sounds silly but some something quite tight around the stomach works quite well

Old 06-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
(female)

potala HB User

Thank you so much for your msg, it looks like ive got it, MS hug, but i also suffer from a very bad scoliosis, so theres many things participating in that, stress maybe as well. My GP did not know what it was, when i described my problems, had Xray done, so ill see what shes gona suggest at her next visit. It is a very umcomfortable and annoying stuff, and i hope it will be gone soon, otherwise ill go mad, also my hands are numb, specially left one, the fingertips. Ive been trying to do my research online, but couldnt find much about that. It sounds scarry, coz i dont have MS, i dont have chest pain like some people describe, just that terrbile tightness around my body and numbness in hand and legs when i walk. So lets see, im gona study MS hug now, thanks a lot.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
(male)

domscott HB User

I have experienced this symtom for many years and i never knew what it was, i dont have any medical advice but i feel your pain.
My ms hug has subsided for now, but i now have a similar feeling in my legs.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Potala,
if you dont have MS, you probably are not experiencing the MS hug. I guess anything is possible, however the hug is trigered by brain attacks of the nervous system- and the body's responses....you sound like you are having muscle spasms....which can be treated.

Domscot, you may be experiencing the hug, but you might also be experiencing muscle spacticity...which is probably what Potala is experiecing as well. talk to your neuro about symptom control...especially if its in your legs as well; I get it alot in the change of weather times..and 5 mgs of Flexeril helps me greatly!

talk to your doctor about the symtoms!
nikki

Closed Thread