It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2003, 08:56 AM   #1

Tinkerhell HB User
Post does MS cause Panic Disoder?

Can panic disorder, anxiety be a symptom of ms? i have panic disorder and have been on a million pills and i started developing a burning sensation in my head. i dont know if its from the medication or what. i get tingling and burning sensations in my arms, back and legs but i was told that this is just anxiety. any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-27-2003, 02:13 PM   #2

Skedloe HB User
Hello, uhhhh . . . Tinkerhell.

The symptoms you describe could be side effects of the medication you are taking. It would be a good idea to talk with your doctor, but even better if you can see a neurologist. I can say that personally, I had symptoms associated with panic attacks a year before I was diagnosed with MS. But, you shouldn't read too much into that because it could be almost anything, and it isn't good to self-diagnose . . . even though it may seem fairly easy to make connections with what is going on with yourself and the information available on the Net.

-Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2003, 05:26 PM   #3

suepie HB User
Talking

hi i also had an anxiety attack. i never had one and it was quite scarry. i was embarrased to find that was what it was. im 49 (christopher-- everyone thinks im 35 haha- maybe thats what ms does haha)my husband divorced me after being married since age 17. also i had 1 grand mal seizure. id like to blame that on the ex with all the stress hes caused! i never found out what caused the seizure if its the ms or im on meds that could cause it. altho id been taking this med for 4 yrs. i think the more scared you get with anxiety attack the worse the attack is.but its sure hard to stay calm. happy heath all---------sue

Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

Blessings2000 HB User
Re: does MS cause Panic Disoder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerhell View Post
Can panic disorder, anxiety be a symptom of ms? i have panic disorder and have been on a million pills and i started developing a burning sensation in my head. i dont know if its from the medication or what. i get tingling and burning sensations in my arms, back and legs but i was told that this is just anxiety. any help would be appreciated.
Did you find out any more about this? I've had a burning/bees sensation in my brain, feet, and hands since I stopped taking antidepressants last year.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi there. Your title read does MS cause Panic Disorder, and then you asked if Panic disorders are a symtom of MS..

First of all, Tinkerhell- do you have MS?

Secondly, MS does not cause a panic disorder- ever. BUT, anxiety can be a symtom of MS, not usually from the disease, but from the unknown. Not knowing and understanding MS, can make you very anxious. Not being able to predict how this will affect your life can also make you very anxious. Anxiety and Panic Disorders are NOT the same thing, although they can present in similar ways. Many medications will give you anxiety- and then there are many medications which will relieve this anxiety.

Tingling, burning and all the other sensations which people listed here, are not caused by Anxiety; however they can be caused by going off certain medications, and they certainly can be caused by MS in general. MS is a disease which affects the nerves. When one has tingling, burning, and bee stinging sensations, its common for it to be from a MS attack in the brain, simply affecting different parts of the body.

The most important thing to remember if you have MS, is that NOT EVERYTHING IS MS RELATED! And just as important is to know that having MS doesnt mean your life is going to change. You have to have control over your disease, and not let the disease control you. Needing help doing this, with the aide of an anti anxiety is common, especialy in the first year...you need to talk to your doctor and be specific about how this affects your life and when- so you can come up with a game plan on how to manage it. Do not confuse panic, anxiety and depression- they are all very different.

Take care..
nikki

Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Does MS Cause Panic Disorder? In a word- NO. Now, the diagnosis of MS can cause people to panic when misinformed about MS. I know that when I was first diagnosed in 1982 I was really worried. But fortunately I had an excellent neurologist at the forefront of the disease. He reassured me and panic is in the dustbin of my life.

Anxiety can be a symptom of MS OR it can mimic MS. It is important to know the difference and to be treated. Anxiety, alone, is treatable. If you have anxiety, you may or may not exhibit MS-like symptoms, but until you resolve the anxiety, a diagnosis of MS becomes more difficult. Many neurologists will attempt to control your anxiety in an effort to look at the facts.

A visit with a qualified MS Neurologist is the first step towards a better future. There is still much we do not know about MS, but we are further ahead then we were in 1982 (my personal reference point in history).

The tingling, burning, etc. may be MS or may be something else. You need all the objective data you can gather.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 06-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

This is an extremely old thread.

Blessings2000, If you start a new thread you will probably get more responses

Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
(female)

Blessings2000 HB User

Thank you!

Closed Thread