It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

lindkaye3 HB User
1st Steriod Infusion and Copaxone - Need advice please

I have been going thru quite a bit lately and figured it was my AS. But after a trip yesterday to my nuerologist, she is chalking it up as an MS flare. She has scheduled me to have a 3 day round of IV Steriod treatment and then a 10 day tapered oral treatment. She also gave me a prescription for a sleep aid. I have never had the steriod infusion before. Any input would be most welcome as I am apprehensive if there are any side effects from it as I feel like crap already! Do you have any wierd taste sensations? They told me it would take about 1 hr each day. Can you get nauseated from it? I am already taking an anti nausea med as needed so hoping it wont be a side effect. I have not been on any MS meds up to this point as she was giving me a "wait & see" approach but yesterday told me she wanted to start me on Copaxone injections. I just hate shots. I have been taking a 1 x week Embrel shot for my AS and I dreaded that and now the Copaxone will be every day. Any insight on this med would be welcome also. I was hoping 2010 would be a better year.......arggg. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: 1st Steriod Infusion and Copaxone - Need advice please

Hi IVSM doesnt cause nauseau- however it does leave the yuckiest taste in your mouth, which will last until you finish it plus another day or two. To help, suck on peppermint lifesavers! They seem to help....

Youll get bursts of energy, which is why they prescribed you a sleep aid- some people do not sleep on IVSM....sleep aid will help! You might get the munchies as well- so stock up on low cal snacks!!!

3 days is a minimal dose- the norm is 5 days, so you wont have any horrible effects from this. Personaly, I never feel better then when I do IVSM. Your immune system will be lowered during the next ten days, so stay away from people with colds and defintately flu- but other then that, no real problems. Youll sleep with the IV in your arm for 2 nights, so be prepared for that. I dont let it stop me from anything, I actually tuck the thing up under a long sleeved shirt and go to work- its no big deal. However, it is scary the first time- just dont freak out. It will be over in 3 days, and yes, it does take about an hour to drip in....during that time, you should watch a good TV show!

Youll be fine, and feeling much better when its over! The steroid stays in your system up to a month, so it will continue to work, even when the IV is finished....

Be well and keep us posted. Its a smart thing to do- no worries.
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread