It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

nelsonhallgal HB User
Atrophy of MY brain (OMG)

This past week, I was at my neurologist's office receiving 3 days of IV treatment for migraine headaches (mostly DHE) that have been dogging me for about the past 6 weeks.

My MS has been acting up along with the migraines... foot weakness and cramping along with the same in my legs. My mind has also been EXTRA fuzzy (just for good measure)...

They made me to go the ER for a cat scan and it showed that my brain has atrophied!!! I am 50 years old. This has me really bummed out because I live in fear of losing my faculties. My mom died with Alzheimers.... so you know the way my mind is tending to wander here.

Does brain atrophy HAVE to go along with MS? I am on tysabri, and have been on it for the better part of two years now.

I feel just horrible physically lately...absolutely NO energy, constant migraines, and dizzy and crampy and just CRAPPY. blech. I DO NOT FEEL LIKE DOING ANYTHING AT ALL. I could take all of this in stride if I hadn't read the part about BRAIN ATROPHY.

If you have any information about those two words, I would certainly appreciate your input. - thanks.

Last edited by nelsonhallgal; 01-23-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Atrophy of MY brain (OMG)

The Good News- You have a brain! I know it is always reassuring when I see evidence that my brain is still there

Brains will atrophy for a variety of reasons which can include aging. You might discuss this with your doctor.

I found the past three and a half years I did much better with my daily brain workout as I home schooled my little boy. Now I am chaperoning him on campus each day. I still get a cognitive workout as we discuss his classes. I also read many books, newspapers, and college texts. Will this help brain atrophy?? I do not know, but I hope to keep it up until my last breath! I too have "fuzzy days" and I know that my son's learning will soon pass my comprehension, but in each day I find a measured blessing from God and I am happy that my cup runs over. I hope you will shake off the worries and step forward with confidence.

Each day starts anew. What we do with that day determines our daily life. On the worst of days, I choose to push forward and obtain my "worst day" goal. Set goals you can obtain and then push the bar higher. On bad days, lower the bar, but not too low. I remember an especially bad day when I could only read a few pages before fatigue closed my eyes...still, I read a few pages and I was able to do one thing.

Stay strong, you are in my prayers.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
(female)

nelsonhallgal HB User
Re: Atrophy of MY brain (OMG)

Dear MSjayhawk,
Thank you so much for your kind and needed words of encouragement. I was just thrown by those words on that paper.... I know I'm so very blessed. My outlook has always been to look at the bright side, but I know you wouldn't have known that from my previous post.

I am receiving 3 days of steroids this week, in lieu of my tysabri, which they are putting off til I can kick these headaches. My neuro is probably gonna put me in the hospital tomorrow for a heavier duty dosing of DHE around the clock, and also do another Mri AND mrv to make sure nothing wacky is going on up there that she doesn't already know about (i.e. the swiss cheese! )

I do try to stay active, and once the cold weather passes for the most part, I will be trying to exercise as much as my body will allow, at least trying to clean up the yard a little. You are a sweetheart, and I really appreciate your words of encouragement again. God puts angels in the most needed places!

Sleep tight!

Closed Thread