It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

BamaMamma HB User
I'm concerned-symptoms? should I see another doctor?

Hi there.
My problems began a few months ago. In all of my nearly 27 years, I've never had a UTI until recently. I've had four in the past three months. It seems like as soon as I finish my antibiotics it comes back. Fair enough.
But in the last few weeks I've experienced debilitating fatigue, sweating, tingling/numbness in my arms, hands, fingers, and feet, lower back pain, and some occasional blurred vision in my right eye. I have told my doctor about it but she seems focused on just treating the recurrent UTI. I've been to a urologist and had a CT scan showing no problems.

The symptoms, especially the blurred vision, remind me of something weird that happened about a year ago. I was walking through my apt to the bathroom and suddenly went completely blind for a second. I was so surprised I fell flat on my back. My vision and balance were fine after that. It was such an incongruous event that I just chalked it up to the glass of wine I'd had with dinner.
Now I'm not sure. Should I push my doctor to investigate this further? Ask for a referral to a neurologist? My ins copays are 75 USD per visit so I don't want to waste time or money but if anything serious is wrong I need to know.

Any thoughts? Does this sound like MS? Two of my mother's first cousins have it but I don't know if that's relevant. Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: I'm concerned-symptoms? should I see another doctor?

Sorry to hear you are having problems...its possible that this is Neurological related, but then again, it could be anything....the fact that you are having so many problems with your eyes, would take me FIRST to a good opthamologist. A good opthmologist can look at the health of your eye, including the optic nerve- and refer you to a Neuro or a Neurological Opthamologist if necesary. I would be starting there....

UTIs are not a MS thing, although bladder issues can be. Sweating isnt a MS thing either, however the fatigue you mention could be (or come from all this anxiety you are experincing, not to mention a whole host of other Neurological diseases) and the tingling could be related, but again, could be a whole bunch of other things including a pinched nerve or disc/ spine issue.

Before you go into panic over this, I would definately want to start with an eye doctor. But make sure he is capable of looking at the optic nerve, and he is a MD, not a optomotrist.

Good luck and feel better.
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread