It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003, 07:17 PM   #1

juju-bee HB User
Post do you need a spinal tap to diagnose ms?

a friend had an mri with lesions. he is having all the symptoms if ms. does he need a spinal tap? or is the doctor a quack?
l2/02:mri central disc protrusion at L2-3 (4mm) & L3-4 (4-5mm) with right paracentral disc prtorusion at L4-5 (5mm) & l5-s1 (4mm) causing mild central canal stenosis, osteoarthrosis is also noted at L-4-5 and L5-S1. There is mild neural foraminal stenosis at these levels.
4/03 diagnosed with fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue;
5/03 c1c2-c3 3mm disc protrusion.
8/03 quit work after 32 years; piddling around the house; love to garden, but kills me for days following

Old 08-21-2003, 02:25 PM   #2

Mom_of_two HB User
Hi...I suppose it depends on the doctor, but I wouldn't think a spinal would be necessary if a person has all of the classic symptoms of MS, and then an MRI revealing lesions on the brain. My neuro said it wasn't necessary for me to have a spinal, he is 100% sure I have MS just from my MRI and a vision test that was done (to test my optic nerve in my right eye). I think this person should switch doctors and get a second opinion from another neurologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 11:07 AM   #3

juju-bee HB User
Smile

thank you so much for your reply. he definitely has m.s. he has an hmo thru beaver medical clinic in redlands, california. they misdiagnosed my mother, who died of cancer, my father who is now on insulin. how they treat human beings is a disgrace to our nation. after reading several sites, many, many (too many) people are going thru the same experience.

it took my dear friend 5 years to get an mri of his brain! he has been having symptoms of m.s. that long, and now, is so bad, he can barely see, or walk. he is in extruciating pain 24 hours a day. i just read him your response by phone and he will switch primaries and hopefully get some help.

thank you again for taking the time to help me out.
l2/02:mri central disc protrusion at L2-3 (4mm) & L3-4 (4-5mm) with right paracentral disc prtorusion at L4-5 (5mm) & l5-s1 (4mm) causing mild central canal stenosis, osteoarthrosis is also noted at L-4-5 and L5-S1. There is mild neural foraminal stenosis at these levels.
4/03 diagnosed with fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue;
5/03 c1c2-c3 3mm disc protrusion.
8/03 quit work after 32 years; piddling around the house; love to garden, but kills me for days following

Old 08-26-2003, 09:06 PM   #4

kyleistheman HB User
Hi Jujubee, My name is Kyle and 3 months ago I started having symptoms of what could be ms, So one day I started shaking so bad i coulnt even hold a glass of water and i finally after 3 months of pure agony i went to the emergency room. They did a spinal tap and found 1 thtats right 1 white blood cell in the spinal fluid and they flipped out and told me i had menengitis, which after seeing a infectious disease doctor told me they were crazy in diognosing me of that that wasnt what i had. So the next day i went in for a MRI and they found 4 lesions on my brain. Now keep in mind for the next 2 weeks i went for a series of test that should show ms and none of them did, some of the test were, VER, EMG, Blood work, and the spinal tap and none of them showed anything for MS.So here i am typing this to you and iv got every classic symptom for MS and there saying I don't have it. But they did say that anybody can have those lesions and it doesnt mean you have MS, so dont let anybody tell you because you have lesions you have MS. Tell your friend to get tested dor Lymes disease, thats what there testing me for right now, Ms and lymes are so close in symptoms its crazy there both mis diognosed for each other all the time, I have a friend who was being treated for ms and turned out to be Lymes disease. So the moral is get a second opinion.

Closed Thread