It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

conleyjk HB User
Question Please help with MS concerns

I am 49 year old female. The last 5 days have been experiencing weird symptoms. Friday night before going to sleep I felt my lower legs feeling a slight tingle in both legs. Sat. morning woke up with tingling across front of face, but did not notice problem in my legs. By Sat. evening, symptoms seemed to be gone. Sunday I woke up with tingling on right side of face and traveling across forehead. I became very stressed and it got worse by evening, but lessened when I was able to calm down. Monday morning I felt it was the same so I thought about a stroke, I went to get medically checked.

Doctor checked for diabetes, thyroid and electroletes. Results were normal. She did not believe it was a stroke. She mentioned MS. She told me to keep a diary of symptoms and go to PCP for further testing. My parents suggested
chiropractor because symptoms did point to cervical and lower back issues.

Each night I sleep in a different position and it seems the tingling appears in what side I slept on. Also, the past two nights by early evening I have no symptoms.

I saw the Chiro. today, he said my xrays did indicate neck and back problems. He also had a machine that evaluated circulation and mine is fair to poor right now. I was told to ice my neck/back tonight because they thought I might be sore from the exam. I did it several times until I suddenly starting shaking from being ice cold. It took me an hour to warm up.

I am sorry this is so long. I am confused on what I should do. I have researched MS and I am puzzled. A relative that is a nurse thinks MS does not change locations of tingling in the body that quickly. She thinks it may be heart related. If I do have MS, would the spinal adjustment hurt more than help. The reaction to the ice really bothers me. The chiropractor said he would refer me to whatever doctor I wanted to go to.

Should I wait? Should I get the cardio check-up or go straight to neuro? Thank you for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Please help with MS concerns

I would avoid the Chiro and get yourself to a neurologist who handles MS patients. The neurologist can point you to a cardiologist if your concern is not neurological. Keeping a diary of your symptoms is important too.

If you need help locating a good neuro, you can ask your local MS Society or Association to assist you.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I also agree that you should avoid a chiro at all costs. Chiropractors do not have the ability to diagnos things like this...and in the interim, telling you to ice or heat your back, can actually do you alot of damage. MSers cannot tolerate heat and some cannot tolerate ice...and we definately do NOT ever go to get adjusted, as this can cause problems that we didnt start with.

A neuro on the other hand, will throw out those Xrays and move right to a MRI. MRI is the only machine that can show what they are looking for, which is lesions on the brain and spine which would explain tingliness. Your nurse friend is right, MS doesnt usually move all over the place the way you describe, but a new MS attack, can present in hundreds of ways, so it shouldnt be written off until the proper testing is done.

In the bigger picture- if you can get an appt with a Neurologist, based on the tingling alone, start there. BUt when mentioning the symtoms and making the appt, ask the receptionist if the doctor has MS patients. SOme Neuros only treat Parkinsons patients, some only do Migranes. You want someone who treats all sorts of Neurological diseases at this point...

Good luck and stay out of the chiros office.
Nikki

Old 01-28-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
(male)

islandjohnny HB User

The only thing I would suggest is that you DO NOT wait. Time can be against you depending on what the problem. I had damaged nerves throughout the legs and hands due to a herniated disc in my neck. I waited several months thinking it would eventually go away. By the time I had an MRI, then quickly scheduled surgery, I was told that because I waited too long, the nerves have been damaged with little chance of healing over time.

Depending of the problem, time may NOT be on your side.

Closed Thread