It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
(female)

gb59 HB User
Wink Wondering

Hi all,
I was hoping you might be able to answer some questions for me? In 2006 I was supposed to have had a TIA it left me with facial numbness, when I get tired I walk like a drunk and slur my words or can't find the word I am looking for. I had a MRI but nothing showed up. Over the last 2 years I have had 2 similar events.

The last 4 months I have been extremely tired often going to bed before 8.30 pm and not wanting to get out of bed in the morning as I am still extremely tired. I have been to an optometrist within the last few months as my eyesight keeps changing. I have had alot of pain in my left eye when looking sideways and also have a stabbing pain behind my eye. I was told I might have a strained eye muscle.

My memory is worse than ever, I'm also having a lot of speech issues as well, my balance is even worse than ever,and I am very dizzy. I have now resorted to using a walking stick.As well a having leg cramps and muscle spasms. I felt like my body was shaking internally.I was also feeling nauseous when looking at the computer and down to the desktop whilst typing.

One day over the Christmas break I stayed in bed all day as the room wouldn't stop spinning even whilst laying down. After Christmas I went to a Doctor and explained my symptoms, he tested my reflexes and muscles weren't so good on my left side,

He did some tests on my head by moving it in different directions and then asked me to follow his finger with my eyes. He said that they were moving quickly side to side. He put me on a course of Stemezine tablets and asked me to come back next week.

The night before I was due to go back to the Dr my cat decided it didn't want to come inside at bedtime, so I chased it around the garden. The cat climbed up on the fence and I stood on a planter which I had done 100 times before, this time I lost my balance and fell grabbing onto the fence on the way down. Result one sprained shoulder and huge dinner plate size bruises on my right side. I was able to get an earlier appointment the next day to see a different Doctor. I explained my symptoms she said that I should have an MRI as she suspected MS. Which I had last Wednesday, I went on Friday to get the results.

The report read:

Clinical Data
Disequilibrium. Past history of stroke ?MS

MRI Brain IAM'S
Technique: agittal T1, axial and sagittal FLAIR, axial T2, DWI and fine slice CISS imaging through the petrous temporal bones was performed.

Findings:
There is no mass seen at the level of the cerebello-pontine angles with the seventh and eighth nerve complexes and internal auditory meati of normal appearance bilaterally. No abnormal signal intensity is seen in the region of the petrous temporal bones.
No suspicious supratentorial lesion is seen. There are a number of prominent perivascular spaces noted at the level of the basal ganglia bilaterally and incidental note is made of prominent CSF collection between the lateral ventricles with posterior extension between the fornices consistent with a large cavum vergae. The remainder of the ventricular system is of normal appearance. No abnormal signal intensity is seen within the cerebal deep white matter to suggest demyelination and no focal gliosis are present to suggest area of previous significant infarction. No restricted diffusion seen on DWI imaging.
COMMENT:
Cause for disequilibrium has not been demonstrated
Incidental note made of large prominent septum verga (anatomical variant)
After reading this to me the Dr said that I don't have MS as I have no lesions, dye wasn't used in the test. I was asked if there was dementia in my family I told her only when my mother and grand-mother were in their 80's. As I might have dementia which would explain the memory loss. Dr said she didn't know what was going on with me.
I told her I had been doing some research on internet about MS and I felt I had most of the symptoms now since 2006.

I sorry that this post is so long, but I can't understand this information and what I should do next.
I would be very grateful for your replies as what I should do.

Sorry by the way I am a 50 year old female, I am a Type 2 Diabetic, on medication for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, also taking antidepressants and on warfarin for the stoke.
My thanks in anticipation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2010, 05:05 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Wondering

Hi Gb. Im sorry you are going thru so much, the not knowing is really scary.
From the report impression, I would have to also say that MS isnt likely...I know you have been reading about the disease, but what you probably dont know is that MS presents like at least ten other diseases....there is no test for MS, other then a MRI and from the looks of your MRI, youre not showing any signs of lesions...

Im still trying to figure out if they did anything besides the brain in your scan...if they didnt , there is still the possiblity that you should have a Cspine MRI as well. Lesions can show up as likely in the spine as in the brain. BUt, based on the brain findings, they arent seeing anything unsusual- which takes us back to this very well may be stroke related (TIA).
'You need to continue being tested, having other things ruled out such as LYmes disease...it also presents the same way.

Let us know how youre feeling and if you have any specific questions, be sure to ask! Welcome to Health Boards..
Nikki

Old 02-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
(female)

gb59 HB User

Hi,
Thanks for your reply I am still undergoing all sorts of testing. I have had seen 2 Drs that said my symptoms maybe MS. What other conditions are similar to those of MS?

Thanks in anticipation

Old 02-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Lymes Disease, Lupus, other autoimmune diseases...
There are specific tests for most of them, but having ruled those out, is how we wind up with a MS dx. When everything else has been ruled out and we have had radiographical symtoms (lesions on an MRI) then they really look at MS. Until then, it could be anything, including a flu or virus.
Good luck.
Nikki

Closed Thread