It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Feel Horrible...So quitting smoking...wish me luck!

It's been a stressful few years for me. I used the stress to continue smoking. My mom passed away from ALS in January. The stress of caregiving for her and her loss has got me feeling horrible. I know my MS is probably acting up. I'm SOOOO fatigued. Everyday I have new pains and twitches. This really has been going on since last July.

In short, I'm bummed. After my dx in Aug 06', I had no problems until my mom got sick. Back to why I'm posting....I've decided I just can't smoke anymore. On top of my MS acting funny, I've been hacking. I've got to quit. I'm hoping that a smoke free life and getting back to "normal' life after my mom's passing will help me feel better.

It's been 48 hrs cold turkey. I hope I can do this. Wish me luck!!

Old 02-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Feel Horrible...So quitting smoking...wish me luck!

wishing you HUGE luck Anxious. Cold Turkey huh? I couldnt do it!! let us know how youre doing..
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Remember the best reason for quitting is for your health and you alone. It is difficult, but you can do it. Caregiver burnout is especially burdensome on MSers who have a low tolerance for stress. I am sorry to hear of your mom's passing.

Stay positive and stay strong!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 02-20-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

GP883 HB User

Wishing you a ton of good luck! I quit about 3 years ago and it was the best thing I have ever decided to do. I used the patch

Old 02-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

I thought about the patch, but I don't know what mg patch to start with. Does it give you nausea, or headaches? This is the end of my 2nd day and I'm struggling. I quit both times I was pregnant..it was easy because I had a reason (plus I couldn't stand the smell). It's been 4 years since I started again and I just can't seem to get over the hump. I've tried the nicotine lozenge with no luck. Oh well, I keep trying. I know it's the best thing for me. P.S. my dad died at 44 from lung cancer. I have no business smoking.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
(male)

islandjohnny HB User

Anxious........ I too wish you the best. I also quit about three years ago. Strange, but for me quitting was so easy. I enjoyed smoking and never even gave it a thought. One night I got severe stomach pains. It was so horrible that I ended up in the emergency room at 2:00 a.m. While I was sitting in the emergency room waiting area, this woman pushed her husband into the area, in a wheel chair.

While next to me, he told me that he was 28 years of age, and weighed about 95 lbs. He told me that he had extreme difficulty just trying to breath. He told me that he use to smoke 3 packs a day since he was 15 years of age.

Between the combination of being in so much pain, and seeing this guy, the thought of smoking really started me to think about my careless approach to health. I realized that I enjoyed smoking as long as I refused to see the harm. When it was my turn in the ER to see a doctor that night, when called, I went in one of the rooms. I will never forget the ER nurse asking me questions and writing down my answers. She asked me if I was a smoker and I said, well yes, but I'm planning on smoking. She replied, "well, I hope it's not too late for you when you do decide to quit........and I hope your lungs aren't to far gone when you make this decision".

I took those words to heart and after the stomach stopped hurting (IBS), I never had a problem deciding to reverse what damage I may have done by my smoking ignorance. As I say, that was THREE years ago and I can't even imagine me ever again purposely trying to cause myself harm, by smoking. Setting aside the outrageous price of those things.

I wish you the very best and Anxious, PLEASE know you are in control and if you realize that smoking can cause a slow, painful and ugly death. PLEASE choose life....

Blessings.......

Last edited by islandjohnny; 02-20-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Well round one....Smoking wins. I gave in! Rather than beat myself up. I will try again. I'm going to try the nicotine patch. First day was easy, second day was very hard. A year ago, my doc gave me a rx for Chantix, but after reading all the post on here about Chantix affecting MS...I never filled it. I hope the patch will help take the edge off the craving. I can't believe what a horrible drug tobacco is. I feel horrible smoking, I feel horrible quitting! I'm in the right mindset, I just need some will power. Thanks to everybody for the encouragement!!! I will get there eventually.

Closed Thread