It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
(female)

Anymator2007 HB User
Red face Nero update

I went to my nero appointment and I left there unsatisfied. He said I do NOT have MS, I don't want to sound like I do want it but I feel he should of done more testing to totaly rule it out. For example from what I know MS attacks the brain myelin(sp) and the cirvical spine. I think he should of done an MRI of my brain with contrast as well as a cervical spine MRI with contrast.
He said my MRI is perfictly normal.
Now he is checking my vitamin b 12, and Evoked potentials( visual, auditory, somatosensory of upper and lower limbs). Do you know anything about that testing? Should I get a second opinion from another nero? I'm so lost I don't know what to do. I hate not knowing what is wrong, at least if I know I am able to deal with it.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Nero update

Hi. You did not indicate why the neuro said you do not have MS. As always, you should ask to see the evidence. I had the visual evoked potential. When they did the visual it was quite apparent that there was a problem. The visual consists of having sensors "glued" on your scalp and then you watch a monitor with your left eye and then right eye (or vice versa). Prior to the VEP, I was asked not to wash my hair because they want good contact with your scalp.

As a result they sent me back to the MRI. At the time my MRI showed scars in the brain and cervical spine, but when they added the thoracic spine, they found that there were active lesions.

Ask your neuro to prove you do not have MS.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Nero update

I agree with Jayhawk, and as we were discussing in another thread- this Neuro either doesnt know beans about MS or he is convinced there is something else wrong....the tests he is ordering are mostly simple and will help point him in another direction, if there is another direction, however based on what you told us, MS shouldnt be ruled out based on what he did do.

Can you get another opinion? There is no reason NOT to have these additional tests- they MIGHT tell you something, but if I were you, Id start a folder of every single test result you get...a journal of when and where you have them done- and be prepared to get another opinon. At least, having those test results youll be able to show someone what was already done and where/ when....and they wont have to be repeated. MRIs are usually repeated in 6 months when they are in the dx stage. Lesions which didnt show this time, might show next time; however had they checked your Cspine and used contrast, they might already be detected.

Stinks to have to feel the way you feel, but you are not alone. Many people have had a run of lousy docs, who dont answer their questions and its not unusual for a diagnosis of any Neurological disease to take up to a year of testing....so, dont think youre alone. I know that doesnt help- but it is a fact.

Keep us posted, ok?
Nikki

Old 02-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
(female)

Anymator2007 HB User
Angry Re: Nero update

This is my MRI and this is of my brain, he said he ruled out MS because my MRI is perfictly normal.

HISTORY: Optic Neuritis. Sensory level at umbilicus. Possible Demyelination

TECHNIQUE: T1, T2 density Imaging has been performed attention to the Thoracic spine. T1, T2, Flair, diffusion and gradient eco Imaging is performed of the brain.

FINDINGS: There are tiny nonspecific white matter focus seen in the subcortical white matter of the inferior left frontal lobe best seen on sagittal Imaging.
Measures a couple of millimetres and is nonspecific.
No other definite evidence of abnormal signal seen within white matter within the brain, brain stem or proximal cervical spinal cord.

Is no evidence of mass lesion or mass effect,hydrocephalus or acuye infraction or hemorrhage.

The alignment of the thoracic spine is normal. Vertebral body and disc space heights are well preserved. Is no evidence of disc herniation, spinal stenosis or forminal narrowing.
The spinal cord appears normal in signal on all pulse sequences. |Is noevidance of demyelinating disease. See no Evidence of mass lesion, syrinx or other thoracic spinal cord pathology.

Incidental note is made of 6 lumbar type vertebral bodies

INTERPRETATION: Tiny nonspecific focus increased signal white matter left frontal lobe. This is of questionable significance.

Closed Thread