It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
(female)

UK SUSIE HB User
General well being.

Hi,

I had my first home visit yesterday from my newly appointed MS nurse. (UK) She is now my first point of contact if I suffer anything that I think maybe MS related. She will come to my home to see me and refer me straight to hospital if I need treatment of any kind. ( I have a possible not definate dx - have the dodgy spine and brain scan, have a positive LP and have had Transverse Myelitis.) When she left I said I hoped not to see her for a very long time.

During her visit we discussed my diet and although I eat lots of fruit and veg I am not a big meat and fish eater although I am not a vegitarian. She has suggested I take Omega 3 and 6 suppliments. What I would be interested to here about are the suppliments that you all may take and find helpful.

Another thing we discussed caused me some interest. Prior to my TM I had not had a sick day from work for 13 years! I asked as because of this auto immune disease would I be more likely to get more illnessess. She said on the contarary, as my body is working in overdrive to combat infections and that people with MS have a high white blood cell count that is why I am more likely not to have picked up any bugs and infections over the years. Seriously I cannot remember the last time I had a cough or cold or sickness bug yet my husband, kids and friend are sick all around me. Has this been the case with anyone else? I has a cosmetic procedure just before Christmas and the PS was absolutely amazed at how well my healing had come along at my first visit to him two weeks after the op. Perhaps this explains why my recovery was so good.

Susie.x.

Last edited by UK SUSIE; 02-27-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: General well being.

Many blessings are raining down upon you!

I rarely get non-MS problems. Colds and flu have never bothered me. I did have a bacterial pneumonia I contracted while in Indonesia in '94. I have had my annual flu shots (never got an H1N1) every year since just to make sure. I battle my MS daily, but the rest of the problems, none. I consider that to be a blessing itself.

Fish and certain nuts (Black Walnut for example) are the best sources for Omega. You can take the supplements. If you do not like fish, I might suggest a Chinese, Japanese, or Indonesia fish meal.

Omega 6 is the easiest to supplement via foods, but Omega 3 is not as readily obtained.

Flax has 20.3 grams Omega 3/100 gram serving and 4.9 grams Omega 6/100 gram serving.

Salmon has 3.2 grams Omega 3/100 gram serving and 0.7 grams Omega 6/100 gram serving.

Walnuts have 3.0 grams Omega 3/100 gram serving and 30.6 grams Omega 6/100 gram serving.

There are Omega source food lists online or via your dietitian or nurse.

Congratulations on making some well needed car progress!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 02-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: General well being.

Hi Suzie, and congrats....sounds like things are going well for you, Look into a company called Nordic Naturals and look at the Ultimate Omega supplement they have. ITs all natural, and no mercury- high grade Omegas and fish oils. One of these pills a day will give you all you need. When I dont take these, I do notice a difference...

I am in healthcare sales, so Im exposed to people all day long in hospitals and doctors offices who are usually sick. I do tend to get sick often...however, its not terrible sickness- just colds and flu like symtoms. I also tend to run myself down much more then I should. I go- go - go and dont stop. Ive been exercising more this winter and trying to get more sleep, and I am feeling better, but quite honestly, I dont buy the whole immune system is working overtime in order to fight off bugs. I also take Rebif which compromises my immune system- so im a double threat to myself. Ive spoken to both an infectious disease doc and my Neuro about this trend of thinking and neither of them conclusively have come up with anything....is it the Rebif or the MS which makes me more prone to getting sick more often? I never used to get sick...so Im thinking it could be the REbif. HOwever, the Rebif nurse argues with me on that....quite possibly its just ME- and I need to slow down and take better care of MYSELF! I do tend to over-do it...

but never the less, good news for you. Look into the company I mentioned- bet you can get them there as well. Its a great product.
Hugs,
Nikki

Closed Thread