It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
(male)

viny HB User
Possible MS?

Hello all
I have been experiencing a variety of symptoms for the past three years. I finally decided to go to a neurologist and told him about the symptoms. He did a number of basic tests for balance strength and reflexes. He said that it appeared that I have carpal tunnel in both wrists. I told him that this problem just started and is bothering me allot. The other problem is that my left foot and leg gets cold. When walking I feel like I am walking funny.
He ordered a nerve conduction test which I failed. He ordered an MRI of brain and cervical spine, W/O contrast, which showed spinal stenosis and congenital disk fusion of the c3, c4 disks. The MRI also showed a problem with my sinuses. The MRI didn't show any lesions but the doctor can't explain the feelings in my leg. He said the spine problem would cause problems in my shoulders and neck, but not my leg.
He said because I am a 45 year old male with a clean MRI I can put MS behind me. That 95% of MS shows up W/O contrast and my symptoms could all be a result of anxiety and stress.
I had another MRI of my lower back which is perfect, especially considering I work in construction.
I have become a cyberchondriac but it's hard to accept the diagnosis when so many people emphasize the use of contrast.
Thank you

Old 02-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
(male)

viny HB User
Re: Possible MS?

I forgot to mention that my symptoms are not constant and can come and go within minutes or hours. Often my foot will be ice cold and when I walk a few feet it goes away. The doctor says that never happens with MS. That when MS affects the brain it lasts for days or months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Possible MS?

MS Symptoms generally persist for 24 hours or longer though during the 24 hours the symptoms may rise and fall in intensity.

Anxiety and stress can indeed manifest like MS. Spinal Stenosis can cause pains and mimic some MS symptoms. A good doctor can weed out the varying problems. A diagnosis of MS at this time seems unlikely. However, you can "take the bull by the horns" and deal with stress and anxiety. You might notice that once under control, you feel a return to normalcy.

Stay positive and you can get through whatever is happening. BTW, the MRI can miss early stage MS and may not be able to show lesions until after they increase in number to "light up". Still, I would venture to say that you do not have MS based on the quick disappearance of your symptoms.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Closed Thread