It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

biminia HB User
Clothing and shoes

I've searched the boards - can't quite find an answer for this one.

Now that the weather is kinder, but my sympoms aren't kinder than last fall, I have a new dilemma. Shoes - my feet are terribly unhappy in most of my shoes; - heels are impossible - stiff soles make me trip - boots drive me crazy. I hope sandals will work. Those who have leg and foot symptoms: do you have a preference?

No more shoe laces, complicated clothing and small buttons for years, but that has improved for me up to now.
I just discovered that, without tights, pants feel like they are made out of sandpaper. Linen feels like it is made from a cactus. Those tight leggings feel OK.
Anyone else? Oh, I hate to give up my sandpaper pants, replace them with what?

I'll fuddle through the summer allright, but right now, I feel discouraged.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Clothing and shoes

Lots of cottons! I wear suits and business attire all day long and I have similar problems....lots of cotton shirts and pants is how I deal with the summer; but where I live, its all humidity. I also try to wear pull on gypsy type skirts to be alittle more feminine. They are wrinkle proof and go well with a cotton T and a light blazer or sweater.

As far as shoes, im required to wear close toed shoes- no open toes...so i stick with very low pumps, about 1 inch...and when Im not working, canvas slip on sneaks! Not exactly glamourous, but definately easy to get in and out of and comfy! One thing I did find, and I hated giving up my 3 inch heels, is try to find wedges...where your foot is basically flat but the wedge gives you some height. They seem to work well because there is no "heel" to throw you off...I try to wear them now and then and do fairly well. Balance is a huge issue for me.

Hope this helps..
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
(female)

biminia HB User

Thanks Nikki.
Balance is a problem for me too, maybe for a different reason. I best go slow as I tip over in a hurry. I'm a gypsy-kind-of-skirt gal, got that covered , and love linen - but not when they turn into cactus dresses. Hmmm, maybe powder helps. ICK.
Tiny wedge heels work ok for me if the ball to toe part have ample give and take. High heels are gone except one pair. I look at them sometimes like a museum piece. Flip-flops don't stay on unless I shuffle. Slip on canvas sneaks I don't have. Yes, they have more flexible soles too.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
(female)

UK SUSIE HB User

Since my Transverse myelitis I have had a problem with shoes. I usually wear toe post sandals flip flops in the summer but found I just walked out of them. I lived in mule type slippers for months. All over our winter I have been wearing a slip on style shoe boot with a 1 inch heel that are so comfortable I just do not know what I am going to wear now our weather is improving. All my lovely old sandals and high heeled boots just make my toes feel more numb and are now just decorating the bottom of my wardrobe.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Cotton and fleece work best for me. And I avoid buttons as best I can. I have velcro shoe closures. In the house I have crocs.

Because your skin sensitivity may change, you might hang on to your favorite "sandpaper" pants. For me, it was a hand coordination problem (though now it is skin sensitivity too). On my last day of work I laundered my business shirts, pressed my ties, steamed my suits, and deposited the lot with the local shelter.

Specific shoes were set-up with the help of my rehab nurse. I have the one style and I stick with it. Of course if the fashion police ever pulled me over, I would certainly get a ticket!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 03-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
(female)

stormonto57 HB User

I use an ankle/foot orthosis so I don't look good in skirts or dresses unless they are the 'maxi' length. I wear mostly cotton or fleecy fabric. Shoes were a big problem in the past. I used to walk out of slip on shoes and fall in heels. For the past 10 years I've worn soft leather ankle boots which support my AFO great and I wear sandals with velcro fasteners when it's hot. I live in the UK so I'm usually in my boots. Haha !!

Old 03-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
(female)

biminia HB User

Aww, humor is thriving well, despite it all. >>>Shoes decorating the closet >>>weather in the UK >>>fashion police ...... you made me laugh.
Soft leather ankle boots - aha, mine are high and stiff at the ankle, kind of loose and stiff = uptight feet. The Crocs work with the heel strap - now it just need to stop raining into the holes. So, mule type slip ons.

Fleece I think is the answer for me, for now, softer knit type fabric. It is encouraging to read that skin sensitivity might change, I won't give up my cactus clothes just yet.

Closed Thread