It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

amy1021 HB User
MS and seizures?

Hi,
I just posted in the section 'Epilepsy' because I'm led to believe, by doctors, that this is possibly what I have. Then I did a little more research on seizures and what they are sometimes linked to, and it got me seriously thinking.
Last week I experienced a grand mal seizure, while I was sleeping, and woke up in emergency (thank god my boyfriend was there, as I had stopped breathing). The previous day I had had at least 5 aura's or simple partial seizures, which now makes me think were warning signs that something bigger was coming. I have been having aura's for almost a year now, not realizing they were seizures (I thought they were something else, due to stress or anxiety). However, this was my first grand mal seizure.

I started doing some research, as I said, and found that sometimes there is a link between seizures and MS. I wouldn't normally be concerned as it states this is rare, but my mother has MS which worries me. She was diagnosed shortly after I was born and the disease has progressed greatly over the past 10 years or so.

My question is, has anyone experienced seizures along with their MS? If so, was it earlier or later in the illness? Lastly, will an MRI show if what I have is MS, for certain and that, that is what's causing the seizures? (Although, I know it is a difficult disease to diagnose)

Old 03-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: MS and seizures?

Roughly 5% of MSers may have seizures. I went through a period of seizures, but I have not had any for awhile. My service dog was able to alert me in advance. If you have questions, I will try to answer you.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
(female)

amy1021 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply MSJayhawk. For the most part, I will have to wait and see what the neurologist will say about my seizures. I'm thinking I will have an MRI done right away, which will hopefully give me some answers. I was only wondering about MS because my mother has it; however, she has told me she's never had a seizure in the 25 years she's had MS. This is not to say, if I did have it, it wouldn't be different.
What were your seizures like? I've had many aura's and recently a grand mal. Since my seizure I've been fatigue and feel very weak. But this is probably normal for someone who has just had their first seizure - I'm assuming my body is recovering. Any information you have would be great.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

My response has been as you described. My worst cycle of seizures left me in a weakened state that lasted 6 months. The continual bed rest was the worst (along with the fatigue). My neuro arranged for some hospital tests when I was cycling through the seizures. I had one while hooked up to the machine. My neuro told me indeed it was the MS, but another neuro said no. A little digging on MS studies showed that MS could indeed cause seizures.

Stress and cognitive overload, I believe, caused my problem. I have since delegated many of my tasks to my family. I have found that since the seizures, I am unable to concentrate on one task for very long.

As to what I felt, I only remember not feeling too well just before the lights would go out. My service dog would warn me and if I lay down, the intensity would lessen or there was no seizure. I learned to rely on my service dog. I also gave up driving until 6 months had passed since my last seizure.

I can empathize with your feeling and I hope you can get through this obstacle.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 03-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
(female)

biminia HB User

I have absence seizures, I don't notice having; simple and complex partial seizures, now almost controlled by meds. In my case I wondered if what was causing the seizures also provides the propensity to develop MS. No history of MS in my family, my sister had seizures during puperty and not since. My seizures started after brain injury and believe are mostly caused by cognitive overload.

My s/p are visual, c/p start by a sinking feeling, like I lose a relationship with my body. I can see and hear but don't understand. Most of the time I have enough warning to stop, hold on, sit and close my eyes. I'm telling myself it helps, but it is possibly that it makes no difference. I have had a seizure while walking and continued to walk straight, I vaguely understood that a wall was coming up ahead but couldn't make the turn and walked into it. This happened in a shopping mall, I wished I was invisible.
I hope you will soon have an answer to why this is happening. A generalized seizure can be also be caused by a virus and have no relationship with what causes simple partials.

Closed Thread