It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
(female)

greenteafiend HB User
first symptoms in ages

Hi everyone,
I'm new here! I am a very fortunate MS sufferer in that I was diagnosed 15 years ago and have very few problems since then. I suppose I almost allowed myself to think it wasn't there. However about a month ago my left side at the waist went numb. This crept down my leg and I felt a slight weakness when walking. Just yesterday I felt it worsen and now feel a degree of spasticity in my right leg. I have had no luck so far getting seen by anyone at the hospital (I rang the MS nurse 2 weeks ago but no appointment has come through). I've been "out of the loop" for so long and am a bit scared! Any advice please?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: first symptoms in ages

After 15 years you are doing fine. Keep reassuring yourself because worry is needless and the continual anxiety can worsen (or seem to worsen) the onset of symptoms. You might want to spend a few days of self-pampering to allow your body some rest and recovery. You might also try to use some cold compresses on your legs.

For me, general leg weakness is something that I have just gotten use to having. Only when I have nerve pain do I aggressively go after it with a heating pad. Otherwise, I just keep my stretching and continue to use my passive Exercycle.

By the time you get an appointment, your current problem may have gone away. If this is you first noticeable problem in 15 years, you should get checked because MS can definitely change gears on you.

Welcome and I hope we can be here for you!

Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
(female)

stormonto57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenteafiend View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new here! I am a very fortunate MS sufferer in that I was diagnosed 15 years ago and have very few problems since then. I suppose I almost allowed myself to think it wasn't there. However about a month ago my left side at the waist went numb. This crept down my leg and I felt a slight weakness when walking. Just yesterday I felt it worsen and now feel a degree of spasticity in my right leg. I have had no luck so far getting seen by anyone at the hospital (I rang the MS nurse 2 weeks ago but no appointment has come through). I've been "out of the loop" for so long and am a bit scared! Any advice please?
Hi are you in the UK? I once had your problem, I had very few symptoms for over 10 years and then when I started to get more eg nerve pain, spasticity in right leg and arm I too was out of the 'loop'. I saw my GP and I got an appointment with my neurologist, who I hadn't seen since I was diagnosed. That was in 2007 and now I have regular appointments and see my MS nurse who has been very supportive. I found my GP very helpful and he helped me get seen quickly. Hope you sort this out soon. x

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
(female)

greenteafiend HB User

Yes, I'm in the UK-Glasgow. Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it and I'm glad I've found somewhere like this!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

The MS Society in the UK is fairly well organized. You can find them online and they have chapters throughout the UK.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Closed Thread