It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
(female)

agoodday HB User
These are my symptoms

I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me if these symptoms could be MS. I have an appt. with a neurologist, but can't get in for several months.

1. peripheral neuropathy- my feet are numb and sometimes painful

2. Sometimes when I turn the light out at night, one of my eyes goes completely blind. It stays black for a couple minutes, then slowly starts to return to normal.

3. Every time I stand up, I feel like I'm about to pass out. Every time. My eyes often go dark or "sparkly".

4. Sometimes when I get that pass out feeling, my body begins to shake or "studder". I don't lose consciousness, but I get very "fuzzy" and "warm" feeling.

5. Frequent urination.

6. Brain fog, tunnel vision, the feeling that I'm "on something" and can't think straight.

Thank you for your help!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: These are my symptoms

Welcome. The short answer- Yes, No, and Maybe. MS is not just a simple symptom= solution disease. There are a plethora of possibilities for your symptoms. I would not want to crush your hopes or cause you further anxiety.

Keep a daily journal along the lines of what you wrote here. Give a copy to your neurologist. You might be able to get your GP to get a referral to be able to see the neurologist sooner. Also, check with your GP and see if you can get preliminary testing done prior to your first visit with the neuro.

When I turn the lights out, my good eye cannot see well, but my light sensitive eye sees very well. The numbness and pain in your feet- you might try cold compresses or a cold immersion. The cold immersion has worked well for me, especially during the summer months. Frequent bowel movements and urination for me is the norm when i am not doing well- for others constipation might be their norm during flare-ups. MS can vary wildly MSer to MSer- you have to learn what happens to you and a journal will help. The brain fog, I can empathize. Brain fog- cognitive impairment- is the last bastion for me to defend. For me, reading and keeping the mind active helps.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
(female)

agoodday HB User

Wow, you've been dealing with this since 1982? I commend you for all that you must go through (or have already gone through!)
Thank you for your response. Keeping a journal seems like a good idea. I will definitely start keeping better track of my symptoms. I have to remind myself that it's important and I'm not just being self-obsessed if I do that. I get the image of Bill Murray in What About Bob listing off his symptoms, "blurred vision, sweaty hands, fingernail sensitivity..."
I'm very curious about the cold water baths for neuropathy. That seems like it would make it worse, my feet feel so cold and frozen already. Wouldn't a heating pad be better? Or is there a reason for the cold treating cold? Strange!
Thanks again for your help!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

When my hands first started getting numb, my neuro told me to use cold water- and it worked. During the winter months I keep a pair of insulated gloves to wear because the temperatures can also affect my MS and the hands are always first, for me.

If you have MS, getting too warm can cause problems. For me, my optimal temperature is about 65-72 degrees F. I can tolerate temps down to 52 degrees F before my hands start to hurt and go numb.

As for nerve pain. For me, heating pads have alleviated my nerve pains, but have not done anything for the numbness. My neuro recommended cold compresses, but because they did not help me in my legs, she said that the heating pad, if it helped, to use it. In fact she has passed along my heat pad idea to some of her other MSers who had similar problems. Now, heat pads are not for everyone.

The numbness in my legs went away after several months. The pain relief was more important to me.

Actually I have dealt with problems since 1977, but only knew it was MS since 1982. Still, if you do not allow MS to control you, you can enjoy life and can count your blessings. Yes, there are really bad days, but even then, I have learned to count my blessings.

When you keep your journal, think about what the temperature was inside or outside, how you were dressed, how you felt before and after a bath (a hot shower can zap the energy in many MSers), etc. The main point is that you have triggers which, if you have MS, can cause symptoms to present. If you learn to avoid these triggers, you can control you MS better.

If you do have MS, there will be flare-up's over which you have no control. These can be frustrating, but I have long ago learned to stop and take a break while focusing on other things.

Pity-party invites are very common. You can accept the invitation and find yourself alone with your MS or you can refuse the pity-party invites and move forward. On bad days, take baby steps. Never beat yourself up over your MS. Learn to delegate to others those things you cannot do.

Lastly, back to the heating pad, I think that the heating pad causes the nerves in the area of pain to become over stimulated and then they simply stop responding. MSers have damaged internal thermostats (in a way) due to the nervous system being damaged. I have found that the heating pad alleviates only the pain, but the relief is a RELIEF! If you use a heating pad, you need to move it around to prevent skin damage. For me the pain was intense from my back down to my thigh. I used the heating pad by placing it over the area with the most pain and moving it down to my thigh and then repeating when the pain returned. The pain, when it returned, would start as the area cooled back to normal.

Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Closed Thread