It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
(female)

KopkaSunset HB User
Vertebral Hemangioma

I am so new to this, can anyone tell me if having a Vertebral Hemangioma (benign tumor or lesion) means that it's a "sign" of MS?

Just wondering?

Thanking you in advance for your response

Kopkasunset

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Vertebral Hemangioma

Hi,
There are many types of hemangiomas- most of which are seen as birthmarks. Spinal hemangiomas may be misdiagnosed as spinal multiple sclerosis lesions. This is why a neurologist who specialize in MS are so important.

Hemangiomas form due to an abnormal build-up of blood vessels. MS lesions result from inflammation due to the loss of myelin- the insulation of the nerve tissue. While spinal hemangiomas present as soft, benign tumors on the thoracic or lumbar area of the spine, lesions due to MS are firm in texture, occurring predominantly in the neck and cervical region, but may also occur on the thoracic spine. I have had lesions from my head to my thoracic spine.

If you have had an MRI and it shows evidence of hemangiomas present, your doctor should be able to tell you.

I hope this helps you. Remember this, there are a multitude of possible causes for lesions. Although lesions do occur in MS cases, a viral infection could also leave lesions. Again, having the right neurologist(one who deals with MS) will make a difference in your diagnosis.

If you do not mind, what has presented for you? typo
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 03-16-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
(female)

KopkaSunset HB User

Thank you for your reponse. I will see my Neurologist who specializes in MS next month. Fortunately I had started to keep a list of the "weird" things and I have no problem sharing this with you. Here they are...

Over the years weird things have happened to my body (since my mid 20’s), but like most people, I just shrugged them off and thought to myself, well that was weird.

Old things happening with more frequency

• Burning sensation on the top of my head (only happens in the shower and on the same spot of my head)

• Feeling like I am getting shocked or burnt on various parts of my body, usually midsection side & back

• Breathing funny – it’s like I can’t exhale deep enough

• Vision getting progressively worse ever year

• Twitching under my left eye

• Legs & feet have went numb/tingly from anywhere of a few minutes to hours – longest lasting about a month and a half (that was just over 3 years ago)

• Muscle spasms in my back that would literally freeze me to the spot until the spasms stopped

• I drink a lot of water but don’t have to pee very often and even then it can some times be difficulty (pressure and I can’t empty my bladder completely)

• Tired all the time

• Wake up every few hours & stay awake for Ĺ hour to 3 hours

• Horrible headaches

• Pain all over my body (seriously, from head to toe)

New things

• About 2 or 3 months before I got sick my voice started changing. It would get high and squeaky

• I feel like I’m spinning (constant) and / or feel like I’m rocking back & forth

• When I’m travelling in a vehicle or in a busy place the movement that is happening around me makes me nauseas

• Little balance – if I don’t have a wall, railing or someone to hang onto when walking I veer off all over the place (I look like I’m drunk) and I need to look down at the ground

• Difficulty swallowing (sometimes)

• When I get tired I start slurring

• Difficulty expressing my thoughts or opinions (can’t find the right word to use or use the wrong word completely)

• Shaky & trembley hands

• Trouble reading, my eyes want to jump all over the place or get lost when going to the next sentence

• Loss of fine motor skills in my fingers (more the left than the right)

• More face twitches now on both sides – mostly under my eyes & numbness in my face

• Body twitches and involuntary movement of arms fingers and legs

• Ringing & pressure in both ears – certain tones or noises hurt my ears

• Mental confusion

• Head movement makes the spinning worse

• Very hard to see in the dark, loss of depth perception

• Sometimes it’s like I see shooting stars or am looking through a kaleidoscope

• When walking my legs feel like jelly

• But mostly my muscles feel all tight

• Difficulty staying focused/concentrating

• I forget a lot and have a hard time understanding or following conversations and directions

• Restless legs and when I try to stop I get the “jerks”

• Frequent heartburn

So, ya... what do you think?

Warmest regards,
Kopka Sunset

Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I think you are doing good tracking your symptoms. There are many symptoms which can fit many possible causes. Your neurologist should be able to help sort out your symptoms. I can empathize with many of your symptoms, but not all. This does not mean anything, however, to to the complexity of MS and, if you have MS, how it can affect you.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
(female)

skimordiegirl HB User

Hi, I too have this and oddly enough have a lot of your same symptoms. My neuro is telling me it's nothing, so I am going for a second opinion. Any luck on your end?

Closed Thread