It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

monkeymom HB Usermonkeymom HB User
Still ongoing here....

I have some general nurological questions, I have no idea what my nurologist is pinging away at anymore. What he is testing for. He is looking for nerve damage he says. But of course he wonders if the topamax is causing nerve problems, so he wants to wait to get me off of the drug to test further.

Found a different Optonurologist... seems he has a nurology background. He will do a full nurological workup on me before the eye part of the exam. -
Hopefully the two will lead to some conculusions as to why the optic nerves are still swollen. It has now been a year and almost 4 months since I have started being seen by the optonurologist that I no longer see. I will be visiting the vision board to see if maybe they have some ideas on the vision issues. The double vision has progressed and printed text, objects and the such are now included. Sometimes I see what I am affectionly calling the reflective double vision. I can only describe it as when you are looking accross the lake and you see the image back onto the lake only upside down. Very freaky. That one has only occured a few times.

A few more questions....

Scanning thru my medical papers and such I found a report that states "some areas of high T2 signal intensity within the spinal cord" although it doesn't state what thoses areas are called. I know I had the study done with contrast. The report is about 10 months old. It does not state the amount of areas or sizes or anything of the such. Maybe just a fluid collection or something?

Noticed on some of these nurological exams when the doctor scrapes the bottom of my right foot my left leg jumps all over the place. Judging by the look I get from the doctor, this isn't normal. They are almost surprised at this. Confused. In fact, they even do it a little harder several times on that foot for some reason. I don't know. I can't find anything in notes about the foot scraping test. But I know that thing hurts! I want to tell them I felt it the first 3 times on that foot, but I guess they know what they are doing and all.

Thanks again for the wonderful information!!

Monkey Mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Still ongoing here....

Ask all the questions you can no matter how trivial they might seem. Most doctors will appreciate your questioning.

The foot scrape is for checking Babinski's sign. The sign is present in newborns but should not be present in older people (older than a newborn). When your doctor scrapes your foot, the big toe should not move up(curl upward). If your toe curls down, your reflex is normal, if it curls up, then there is something neurological happening.

Other reflex signs you may or may not be tested for include:

Chaddock's Sign: Similar to Babinsky's but testing for lesions in the corticospinal tract. Your neurologist will touch the skin at the outside of your ankle. Your foot response will be like Babinski's sign (big toe up means a problem....)

Hoffman's sign: This is also similar to Babinski's but involves your hands rather than your feet. The test involves tapping the nail on the third or forth finger.

Doll's Eye Sign: The neurologist is looking for dissociation between movement of the eyes and of the head. A positive response is when the eyes moves up and head moves down.

Sensory: This is done with tuning forks and pins and tests the level of sensory perception in certain parts of your body.

I have had the sensory, once with tuning forks and the rest of the time with pins. My neurologist at the time said that he usually followed the Babinski test with a sensory test. The pin test was able to show my neurologist the extent of nerve problems in my hand.

I have also had the Chaddock's sign tested too. I prefer it to the foot scrape!

I hope this helps somewhat. As to reading your own results, I prefer to let the doctor explain each item so that I do not go off on a tangent.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 03-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

They did loads of things to me the first time I was hospitalized and with the first nurologist. They went through them soo fast I was getting confused with all the pokes when they kept asking "does this feel different, does this feel this... " - It felt as if they were using different *****s and such. It was also at 2 am when I was hospitalized... lol But even when awake, all of this was very confusing as fast as they were going, poking me with the saftey pins, bonking me with a tuning fork, rasing eyebrows and saying hmmmm.... taking notes. All very confusing. Anyways... guess I am off on a tangent, again.

Is there a general Nurological board? I am sure people with acutal nurological problems get weary of me asking general nurological questions when I don't have an actual nurological diease... they are still trying to find out what is going on.

Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I would not worry about finding a better board. Suffice to say, you are welcome to ask questions here. If you were very early in your battle with MS, many of your tests could have been negative. A fresh pair of eyes will help you, I believe.

Keep asking questions here as often as you need. No question should be considered trivial.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you. I just have no where else to turn. I really don't have a close friend to talk to. When I started getting sick, they turned away... even when I had been there for them. They suddenly became to busy to be around me. But that is a different animal all together huh? Guess that's one of those little lessons in life we learn the hard way....

I have a new thread I am going to be starting soon about how to look for a nurologist. I am very confused on the two opposite ones I have encountered thus far. I worry that I may waste my time with one type and end up missing the problem, or take the wrong one and frustrate myself becuase I am not getting answers... either way, I get confused

Think that one deserves its own topic

Old 03-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

The great migration of the infamous "fairweatherus friendus". Fair weather friends always show their true colors. I have been there. True friends will last forever. I hope you will be able to find someone with whom you can chat with in real time.

Closed Thread