It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
(female)

UK SUSIE HB User
Feet

Hi,

I have a probable MS diagnosis, I take no medication. I had Transverse Myelitis back in April 09 and since then my right foot has been absolutely freezing from the ball of my right foot forward to my toes. Now in a way I know it is all in my head as my feet are warm to touch yet the signal my brain is getting is that I have had my foot in ice. When I wake up in a morning in bed they feel stiff but not cold but the minute I put my foot to the floor the cold sensation occurs and the longer I stand the colder it gets. Now as the warmer weather gets nearer I have purchased a pair of sandals as I cannot possibly spend the summer in the usual two to three pairs of socks and boots I have been wearing, I think that may get some strange looks.
Has anybody had similar feelings, does anyone take medication or know of any treatment that may help me?

Thank you,
Susan.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Feet

I have worn gloves and a sock cap into May. You need to do what works for you and do not worry about how others perceive you. The feeling will eventually go away. Until then, do what works for you. You might try soaking your foot.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
(female)

lilipad HB User

My right side is often cold to the touch, sometimes I feel really cold on the right as well. hands, feet you name it.
Ironically the very first symptom that ever occurred that was an autoimmune hint was following a surgery on my foot- the temp was remarkably different. I had a cortosone shot and it seemed to fix it. This was about a year before the first real onset of MS.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
(female)

tiffin HB User

Hi I live in the UK as well and have also sufferred with very cold feet and sometimes my hands as well. I have lived in a pair of socks and my UGG boots (Xmas present) since I got them they are definately the warmest most comfortable things I have ever had on my feet. I know I look daft wearing them especially as the weather warms up, but needs must. Don't worry about it, I treat it as a bit of a joke and my 17 year old daughter thinks it is hilarous that my foot wear is the only trendy thing about me. I don't know of anything you can take for this, but I hope you feel better soon and in the meantime wear as many pairs of socks as it takes.

regs

Tiffin

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-11-2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
(female)

biminia HB User

I feel something similar. My symptoms (both legs and feet) started last August, so this is my first Winter and now Spring experience. We just had the first really warm days this Spring, I sat outside and took my shoes off. The sun felt really lovely everywhere on my skin, except my legs and feet felt like they are getting colder. They usually are cold to the touch, but that has always been my normal. The weird thought I had was that my present perception is in conflict with my conditioned and expected perception. What I perceived was that the sun 'caused' my legs to feel colder, totally absurd. My mind trying to explain a perception to itself.
Just rambling my thoughts ........

Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
(female)

UK SUSIE HB User

Hi,

Thanks for replying.
I am more than likely to be stuck with this cold foot sensation for the rest of my life, but is so hard to deal with. Neuro said after my TM that what feelings had not returned by six months would probably not return at all. My left foot is pretty much back to normal as origionally this cold and numb feeling extended to waist level and below. I cling in hope to the probably but now it has been 12 months since my original illness I realistically cannot see it improving. I could have coped with a numb/cold patch on my leg or arm but you have no choice but to stand on your feet. ( well ok I suppose I could not bother standing again but I think that is a little drastic)
I just want a magic cure to make it go away, as do we all. I posted on a thread about footwear, in this day when there are such fabulous shoes around I am living in boots and socks. I walk out of the toe post style flip flops I used to wear all summer, at 45 I still want to be fashionable.
At the end of the day I then feel guilty, at least I am lucky to be alive and have two feet whilst others are not so fortunate so I guess I should stop feeling sorry for myself and get on with it.
Susan.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

My neuro gave me 12-18 months to know if a condition would persist. Do not give up yet! I can only speak as a 46 year old male, but I can tell you I am about as far removed from a fashionista as you can be! Your comfort is going to be the best. Maybe you can try a foot warmer. I know there are some you can heat in the microwave and place in the insole. Not sure if it would work for flip-flops.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
(female)

biminia HB User

How did your symptoms progress and when did your foot improve?
I'm clinging onto hope like you, also wonder if I will be stuck with this forever. From the waist down for me too, no improvement anywhere, slowly progressing for the 8th month. Cold sensation doesn't significantly change for me whether sitting, standing or baked in sunshine. I'm holding onto my shoes and cactus pants, holding onto hope, waves of anger washes up. I want to do something and don't know what. It helps to read that I am not alone. Hugs.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
(female)

tiffin HB User

It is really hard not knowing whats going to happen, I don't have a dx yet, although I haven't experienced prolonged problems with my legs, I have had ON and my sight has still to recover to what it was. i thought I had ON again about 8 days ago, but the eye doctor said for my eyes looked normal (compared to the last time he'd seen me) and that he wouldn't do any further investigations as I'd changed hospitals. He told me that I had ON previously in both eyes, which really stunned me as I had been led to believe it had only been my left eye (my right eye has always had terrible vision) and that the pain in my right eye had been eye strain, which is what he says I have now.

Sorry to digress, I am 49 years old and I like to think I am fashionable without being inappropriate for my age, which is why my daughter finds my UGG's so funny. She gets really fed up with me being to hot or too cold and always messing around taking layers of clothing off and putting stuff on again.

I'm just hoping that when the summer finally comes, I will get an all clear from the doctors and that whatever is wrong with me will resolve itself and I can get back to normal.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
(female)

UK SUSIE HB User

Hi,

Good to know that my symptoms may improve up to the 18 month mark.

Biminia - I had my first symptoms of cold feet in April 09, started in both my heels on a Saturday morning, they just felt numb and freezing cold all day, spread through feet to my toes by the Sunday evening, then progressed slowly and symetrically up both legs to my waist by the following Thursday. I also had bladder and bowel issues too. I had different sensations over the next couple of months, including buzzing/vibrations in my legs but it all subsided in exact reverse by July 09 leaving me with a numb and cold right foot. the left one is fine. I have lesions on my spine and brain and a positive LP. Still only a probable DX though as only one recorded episode of TM - need something else to qualify for a MS dx. Although my memory is terrible and getting worse. I am constantly tired. I get pins and needles in my arms and face all the time but this has always been put down to my underactive thyroid.

Last edited by UK SUSIE; 04-08-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Forgot something.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
(female)

biminia HB User

Thank you for responding. It started on both sides for you and progressed rapidly, improved in reverse except one foot. Different And similar nevertheless.

For me it started with small toes of one foot, progressed to all toes at 1 month, both feet at 2 months, up slowly evenly both legs until it reached my waist at 5 months. I feel electric vibration in both legs for 7 years, every day, didn't improve. I contributed this to a spinal cord injury from an accident. Brain MRI then showed 5 lesions, MS in the differential, now there are more lesions all over. Neurosurgeon looked at my MRI and opined that they don't look typical for MS. L-spine MRI showed a lesion suspicious of neoplasm, bone scan determined that was benign and not the cause for leg symptoms.

EMG normal, blood work perfect, excellent tone, hyperflexia, poor balance, difficulty initiating to walk. No bladder/bowel symptoms. Memory and concentration problems from TBI caused by accident. Radiologist diagnosed demyelination of CNS - unspecified. My neurologist has not submitted a diagnosis, told me he didn't know what is going on, didn't want to continue testing. $10,000 of medical bills later and no definite diagnosis.

I've had no C-spine MRI and no LP yet, at this point I am sick of doctors and tests. I still can use the treadmill at the gym I joined in desperation to get my legs back. Walking is getting more difficult, slower and uncoordinated, driving ill advised. I guess I'll procrastinate until I can't get up anymore. I feel like throwing dishes at trees.

Closed Thread