It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
(female)

rjpts HB User
Question MS and lung issues

Does anyone know if there is a connection between MS and lung/breathing difficulty. I have MS and was hospitalized three times in the last 6 mo. with pneumonia, dyspnea, and hypoxia. The docs are giving me a different diagnosis each time. First they said bronchitis, second asthma and now copd. I have done some research and found there is some breathing issues in about 20% of patients with MS and could really use some help in finding out if there is a relationship between the two and if so what kind. Thank you to anyone that has any information about this subject.

Last edited by rjpts; 04-04-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: MS and lung issues

I have not had any breathing difficulties. I have swallowing difficulties.

Aspiration pneumonia is a concern when there is swallowing difficulties. I just did a search which brought up cases of breathing difficulty, but the cases are rare. Thus, you cannot dismiss it as not MS.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
(female)

rjpts HB User

Thanks so much for your answer. I do have some swallowing difficulty, but the Dr's haven't said that is the problem.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Aspiration Pneumonia is not a breathing issue. Its a swallowing issue- so its not related. Its not unusual for MSers to have difficulty in swallowing, however I havent seen or read anything which suggests that its MS related.

COPD or Asthma or even pneumonia are common to all people, with and without MS. Probably there is no connection to you having MS;however if you are susceptible to breathing issues, you might want to talk to them about the risks/ benefits of taking some sort of steroid inhaler to keep your bronchials and lungs clear.

hope you feel better soon.
Nikki

Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
(female)

rjpts HB User

Thank you Nikki for your reply.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
(female)

modella HB User

Hi, I have read that the part of the brain that controls the lungs and breathing can have a lesion, which would make you feel like you cant breath. One girl said she felt like her breast was asleep and it was her lung. So it can def. be part of an MS attack.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
(female)

modella HB User

I read about a girl with MS who had her breast feel like it was asleep, and it was her lung. Her lesion was on the part of the brain that effected her lung, so yes not be able to breath can be a part of an MS attack. Deprnding on where the lesions are. I would go have an MRI and ask MS Dr about it.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
(female)

rjpts HB User

Thank you for your reply. My daughter is a nurse and has mentioned something about that happening, but I have never heard of it from anyone else. I am definitely mentioning this to my neurologist. Thank you again.

Last edited by rjpts; 04-17-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
(female)

guthrieguthrie HB User
Thumbs up Re: MS and lung issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpts View Post
Thank you for your reply. My daughter is a nurse and has mentioned something about that happening, but I have never heard of it from anyone else. I am definitely mentioning this to my neurologist. Thank you again.
Good Morning,
Just read your post. As you, I have breathing problems. My Neuro has prescribed a Nebulizer to use when things get bad, plus I also use inhalers. Have you had your lungs checked to see if there is any Paralysis from MS? This may be part of the problem also. I know it's rare, but of late I have learned my L lung is 1/2 paralyzed from MS.
Currently, I am looking for information on lung paralysis from MS and have not found any.
Just take things day by day and try to keep your chin up!
Blessings to you.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

The post you replied to is from 2010 and may not be answered.

Thank you for sharing about the breathing and lung issues with MS. I have breathing difficulties if I lie flat, but I never knew about lung complications as you shared. I will have more questions for my neuro on my next visit!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
(female)

guthrieguthrie HB User

Thank you for the reply. I would be very interested in the response your Neuro has. Yesterday, my Neuro told me Lung Paralysis is not very common, but he has seen it before.
I've spent considerable time on the Net today looking for information on Lung paralysis due to MS and found nothing. Great deal of information on Dyaphram Paralysis ..... I think this is a muscle that lays below the lung. I am not a DR. so am not sure.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
(female)

guthrieguthrie HB User

Facilitator ... Looks like my eyes skipped a line. LOL
I'll be more careful in the future. Think I'll go night night! ZZZZ

Old 05-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
Facilitator
(male)

LOL, no worries. It means I am here to make sure everyone is warmly greeted and that no one goes without support.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
guthrieguthrie (05-17-2012)
Closed Thread