It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

slkrohn HB User
MRI results?

I have what seems to be signs and symptoms of MS, I had an MRI and it came back clean no signs of anything. Can it still be MS? Has anyone else had this happen? I'm trying to figure out whats happening to me. I'm happy that nothing showed up but I am very confused.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
(female)

tiffin HB User
Re: MRI results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkrohn View Post
I have what seems to be signs and symptoms of MS, I had an MRI and it came back clean no signs of anything. Can it still be MS? Has anyone else had this happen? I'm trying to figure out whats happening to me. I'm happy that nothing showed up but I am very confused.
Hi, I was told my first MRI was normal and that they could not see any abnormalities. I was diagnosed with ON last October and it finally disappeared in January. I have just received a copy of that MRI and the report and it shows that I had ON in both eyes, although much worse in my left eye and my vision has still not fully recovered. I had another MRI in Feb which showed abnormal signals in the PONS and white matter, but it was difficult for them to know whether this inflamation or not.

During the last 7 months I have experienced all sorts of weird things which could be something or nothing. Therein lies the problem, MS is very hard to diagnose, particularly early on. If your neuro suspects MS they will arrange a whole load of tests to rule out anything else. It's really easy to say but incredicably hard to do but you have to be patient and get all the tests done, and face the possibility that even then they might not be able to make a dx. I am not dx'd yet and I know what a struggle mentally and emotionally this is. The other way to look at it is that MS is a chronic life long condition and the longer you can live without that diagnosis the better off you are. In a strange way it is a blessing not knowing, even if it drives you crazy. An MS diagnosis affects you and your whole family so even if it takes ages to find out whats wrong, a correct diagnosis is vitally important.

I hope this helps, everybody on this board is so helpful and strong, I'm sure they can give you really excellent advice and support. Hang in there and try to stay positive.

Tiffin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

Wilc516 HB UserWilc516 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkrohn View Post
The first MRI that I had showed "one spot of no concern". Yet here I am 15 months later with a diagnosis of MS. You just never know. Did they do the MRI with and without contrast?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
(female)

slkrohn HB User

The mri was w/o contrast. I don't know if it makes a difference for the mri to show anything, I am currently feeling good, not much going on, slight dizziness at the very end of the day but the last " episode" was over a month ago. I feel like they everyone thinks I'm crazy because they didn't find anything on the mri.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

An MRI with contrast allows active lesions to be more visible. It would not be uncommon for you to feel better again depending on the type of MS you might have (OR not have!). If nothing was noted on your MRI, you might wish to get another MRI with and without contrast in 6 months to a year. If you do have MS, it is best to not be lulled into a false sense of security. Still, I hope you had a one time occurrence.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
(female)

slkrohn HB User

Thanks, I have two of these "episodes", the first I went to the hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack (nope). The second one was the same but a bit more intense. After the first attack, around the time I started to think that it was a freak thing and wasn't going to happen again, it did. So I hope it won't happen again but I'm scared to let it go for now because I feel like I'm going to die when it does happen.

Closed Thread