It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

honi4u HB User
do iv steroids cause ankle swelling?

do iv steroids cause ankle swelling?

Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
(female)

Wilc516 HB UserWilc516 HB User
Re: do iv steroids cause ankle swelling?

I have had several doses of solumedrol (if that is the IV steroid you are having) and have not had any issues with my ankle's swelling. Of course that doesn't mean you couldn't have that side effect, I just have not experienced it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Actually, Solumedrol can cause EVERYTHING to swell. Its called Cushing's Syndrome....any type of Steroids or Homonals supplements in high doses can cause this to happen....normally it resolves itself within a few days of stopping the steroids or infusions, but you should mention it to your doctor and be sure that its nothing beyond normal.
Havent seen you on this board before, so welcome to you. Do you have MS? Are you taking IVSM for this reason? I hope you feel better soon! And, your ankles slim down!
Nikki

Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
(female)

honi4u HB User
Unhappy Re: do iv steroids cause ankle swelling?

Yes, I have been recently diagnosed with MS and yes this is my first time here.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Welcome Honi4u. I hope we will be able to answer many more of your questions !
Since you were just dx with MS, Im assuming that this is probably the first time you have had to use IVSM. Not fun, huh? I personally dont get too many side effects, but I do swell! Usually in my face and my jaw area- I tend to look bloated by day 3. Usually its gone within a few days of stopping the IV. I have had my feet swell though, including my ankles- Im told this is "just a side effect" and "not to worry". Hard not to worry when you cant get your shoes on!!
We are here to support and guide you, so dont hesitate to ask anything you want! We have all been where you are...so let us know if you need anything!
Nikki

Old 04-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
(female)

honi4u HB User

Thank you. NikkI,
I can use as much support as I can get to deal with this disease. I know that I will have many more questions.
Vernell

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-28-2010 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Vernell, when I was first diagnosed, I found this board and it literally saved my sanity. I remember clearly how scared I was, and how many questions I had. I also realized very quickly that unless you HAVE this disease, no one understands what we are feeling or going thru. Its a frustrating disease- but its manageable...

I promised myself that I would always be there for newbies, the way people were for me, so I check in around here quite often. Ask away!! There are several great people here who will share their experiences with you and there are ALWAYS people who will get back to you when you feel scared, frustrated or alone. Most important, because this disease hits everyone differntly, youre sure to find SOMEONE who has been experiencing what you are going thru at any given time. Its a great place- healthboards and we give to others exactly what is given to us- support and virtual hugs when needed! So keep talking to us...we'll help you with everything we can- and believe me MS manages to dish out quite a bit! Are you on any MS drugs that you care to share with us? Are you having any reactions or problems getting used to the idea of being on any drugs? Tell us whats on your mind and we will respond!
Support is here!!
Nikki

Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
(female)

honi4u HB User

Hi Nikki,

You are so right about having this disease. (unless you have it, no one knows or understand what you are going thru.) No, I am currently not on any meds as of yet. I have to return to my neurologist in May. He's trying to get the insurance to pay for the meds. They are so expensive. Thank you again and yes I will be back with more questions that I am sure you know that I may have.

I have read many books on Ms and currently I am reading Ms for dummies they have alot of information in it but I'm sure that I won't find everything pertaining to me in it. I try hard to stay positive and learn all I can about this monster. I call it that because it fills like a monster that has invaded my body and because it is so unpredicatable, I worry about my future. Thank you again for being here. I need some one to talk to about all of this at times.

Vernell

Old 04-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
(female)

Vernell, I agree that it IS like a monster. I am trying very VERY hard not to let it control me. Easier said then done most days!!! This board is a very helpful resource. There is nothing better then being able to communicate with people who understand what it is like to live with this condition.

I guess I am fortunate as I have not had any swelling or adverse reaction to the IVSM. I hope it lasts! I am now receiving monthly treatments.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Guys....Wilc, if you are only doing a day at a time each month, you probably wont be having any side effects...it usually takes at least 2500 mgs before you start to swell! And, thats over a day or two (or three).

Honi- again, youre very welcome! Keep reading the posts here and youll learn alot! Also, you should be aware that Rebif and Betaseron both have programs for underinsured patients. The most they can charge you is 50$ per month for a months supply of medication. So, if you have insurance problems, talk to those companies about what they offer- and they will work something out with you. Your doctor SHOULD know this, but if not, you can tell him about it.

Hope you both have wonderful weekends! And I love the monster analogy. Ive been making up names for MS for almost 5 years now...the latest is telling people I have a case of the "monkey Sh*t" going on....
Hugs,
nikki

Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
(female)

Initially I did the 3 days of 2500mgs with no side effects. Now its just a one day a month treatment. I'm sure with the lower dose it doesn't have the same effect. Either way, I'm still glad its not making me swell!! Who needs that

Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
(female)

ironRose HB User
Smile Re: do iv steroids cause ankle swelling?

Last edited by ironRose; 10-27-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
(female)

ironRose HB User

Last edited by ironRose; 10-27-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #14
(female)

ironRose HB User

do they cause lower legs to swell too? Ive taken IV steroids and right now Im on oral and thats when My legs and ankles got swollen. so this is normal? stupid Doc wont call me back so I have no idea my worried sis desided to email me about blood clots and heart faling and stuff like that when it started like 2 3 days ago I went to the er cause I was scared and they gave me an anti inflamitory watch says in big letters on it do not take with steroids so I guess that was a waste but at least I know for sure I have no clots. I so was just thinking before I found this site ( I bet its the steroids)

Old 10-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironRose View Post
do they cause lower legs to swell too? Ive taken IV steroids and right now Im on oral and thats when My legs and ankles got swollen. so this is normal? stupid Doc wont call me back so I have no idea my worried sis desided to email me about blood clots and heart faling and stuff like that when it started like 2 3 days ago I went to the er cause I was scared and they gave me an anti inflamitory watch says in big letters on it do not take with steroids so I guess that was a waste but at least I know for sure I have no clots. I so was just thinking before I found this site ( I bet its the steroids)
Hello ironRose,

A side effect of steroids is swelling/edema/fluid retention. This is temporary and will go away once the steroids are out of your system.

Closed Thread