It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
(female)

modella HB User
Leg cramps New to MS

Hi Everyone, I was just diagnosed 3 months ago with MS, during my first attack. (I have not had another attack yet )and I know that they can be different each time. My first one I was so dizzy, feet were numb, and vision was blurry and it lasted 2 months. Its been a little over a month and I have been feeling better, but the last few days my legs ache so bad it is hard to walk. Is this the begining of a new attack or just spastisity? Also note that I do not take any MS drugs. Just Vitamin D. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Leg cramps New to MS

Leg cramps are something that have been with me since I was 14. My leg cramps are MS related and my current neuro has me do plenty of stretching. If your MS is the cause of your leg cramps, then stretching may certainly help. Additionally, hydration is important too.

If there is a pool to which you have access, pool therapy can also help you.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Yolanda72 (11-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

hi and welcome to health boards! Sorry to hear you were recently diagnosed, but youve come to the right place for support and advice!

Can I ask how much vitamin D you are on? And why? Were you tested for levels of D? Most people are low in Vitamin D at some points during the year; however most people dont know the side effects of taking too much (more then 10,000 IU a day). It can cause some severe dehydration and cramping.
I was just curious as to why you are on that, and not on any other vitamins or supplements.

Are MS drugs in your future? This is a good place to learn about the differnt ones.

And lastly, Jayhawk is right. Many of us deal with spasticity which is actually a form of muscle cramping- and its a MS thing, however stretching really helps as does staying hydrated.

I hope that helps!
Nikki

Old 04-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
(female)

modella HB User

Thanks for the advice! Ms Jayhawk. I am glad to see you are med free as well!! My main question is, Are leg cramps a sign of a new attack? Or just something we will always have to deal with?

Old 04-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
(female)

modella HB User

Hi Nikki, They wanted me on a lot of vitamin D, but I stopped taking it and just started spending more time in the sun. I eat mostly organic veggies and chicken. I am on a low fat diet, and I am supose to take 25 different supplements a day, but I dont. The only drug I take now is klonopin for the leg cramps and anxiety about the MS. I just got my perscription for LDN. And will start that in a couple weeks as I am also looking into ccsvi. I am way too scared of the Ms drugs. Especially the link to copaxone and lymphoma. I also want to see how far apart my attacks are off meds before I start anything. Because Dr says it could be 3 months or 6 yrs. If I only get them every few yrs I see no need for meds. Thanks for your help

Old 04-17-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Modella, where are you located? CCSVI isnt available, its under testing stages and the feedback isnt good.
The link about lymphoma and Copaxone is several years old and if you read updated info, youll see that its not dangerous at all.
LDN is NOT approved for MS- and although it probabaly wont hurt you, you will see additional relapses and problems in the future being on it. It isnt designed to prevent future damage to the myelin.

As for 25 supplements, who is giving you advice? You need to up your fish oil, or Omega 3s, you need to take a daily vitamin and make sure that your B levels are okay, which can only be done with blood work. You absolutely need to steer clear of C, E, and any type of vitamin or supplement which affects your immune system....if you are getting enough sun, then you dont need to supplement your D, excpet possibly in the winter, which is why I asked where you are. depending on your age, calcium, magnesium can be added. Dont go crazy thinking you can take care of MS by being med free. Most people who are Med free are only doing it because they have no choice- if you have anything besides Relapsing/Remitting MS, you have no options.
But the very idea of curing MS by supplements or with LDN isnt smart to think....the approved MS drugs which have been on the market 10 years, Betaseron, Rebif, Avonex and Copaxone are safe. and, more importantly they prevent new damage to your body.

Nikki

Last edited by MSNik; 04-17-2010 at 06:06 AM.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I do not think that leg cramps are the sign of an attack, rather I believe they are a result of residual damage. Because MS varies from person to person, it is difficult to extrapolate what will happen to you. For me, I deal with issues on a daily basis. For you, you might have remission for 40 years.

Since my condition worsened in 2002, I have settled into my new "normal". In 2006 my doctor told me that she did not foresee new problems, rather, she said more than likely all of the symptoms/attacks which had manifested during the 3 year period would be what I would have to endure from here onward. If your MS "comes and goes" it is difficult to know what your attack will be and whether leg cramps will be part of your problems. I do know that stretching is much cheaper than meds! If you are severely cramping, there are meds available. My doctor always gives me the alternative to treat symptoms with meds.

My doctor follows my case because I do not do meds. She respects my stand and uses my "home treatments" to pass on to her patients who are not responding to meds. For me, she has said, med free works.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
(female)

redwonder HB User

Can I ask what the leg cramps are like? I've had some issues with my calves hurting a lot the last few months, and I assumed it was due to some meds I was on, and didn't think to connect it to what I'm dealing with right now.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

My calves feel like a very tight knot when the cramps are there. Most of my cramps have been confined to my calf muscles. I am not sure how the pain would be different than a regular cramp. It might do you well to look into the med angle as well as the MS angle.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

i get leg cramps which feel like shin splints. Im told this is probably MS related as well. On occasion, I do get the calf cramps which feel like a knot- but like jayhawk, Im a huge proponent of stretching out every day, sometimes twice a day and I find when I do that, the calfs hurt alot less and the cramping is much less often.
Does that help?
N

Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #11
(female)

redwonder HB User

My calves felt really tight, and then I'd get a charlie horse feeling too in certain spots. I'm off those meds now, so I'll have to see how that goes long term. If I get that feeling off the meds then I think it's safe to say it wasn't the meds.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

You might want to go online to find out the length of time the residual effects of the meds might last. Also, make sure the meds you stopped taking are not going to cause problems- ie did you inform the prescribing physician that you were quitting?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
(female)

redwonder HB User

The doc told me to stop taking the meds because apparently there is an increased risk of stroke associated with a history of migraines. So it was under a doc's direction that I stopped them (they were b/c and I was going to end them soon anyway). So back when my arm started going numb, that was one of the first things my doc suggested, though she didn't think I'd had a stroke thankfully.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

That is good info. Now, you need to check on the life of the medicine- how long it takes to leave your system.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
(female)

redwonder HB User

Supposedly once you stop taking it, it's out of your system. Personally, I don't fully buy that I'm not finding much info. I'm more than happy to be off it now though

Closed Thread