It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
(female)

Wilc516 HB UserWilc516 HB User
Any concerns with a deep tissue massage?

I know that chiropractic treatments are frowned upon, but is anyone aware of any concerns with a deep tissue massage with MS? My annual ritual on my birthday is a spa day and I'll be devestated if this wretched disease keeps me from that!

Any thoughts? If a deep tissue massage is not good, is a regular sweedish massage a better choice?

TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Any concerns with a deep tissue massage?

From what I have read, massage can alleviate stress and can be beneficial, however, if you are undergoing a flare-up, the studies suggest that you wait until your system is back to normal. I personally use acupressure to alleviate nerve pain in my head and hands.

If you are in doubt, you should speak with your MS doctor. Also, if your massage therapist is licensed, they should be informed that you have MS- if they are not state licensed- RUN!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Wilc, hate to break it to you, but my Neuro is totally against deep tissue massage. He is okay with softer, Swedish massage, but deep tissue can actually push on nerves and cause inflammation or relapses. Take that for what its worth.

I have been skipping deep tissue and going for simply "relaxation" and aksing for a lighter touch. Trust me, Im not missing out on anything by not feeling the pain.
Happy birthday!
Nikki

Old 04-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
(female)

I will try the Sweedish Massage I guess....maybe I'll talk to my doctor.

In all honesty, I don't know how to tell if I'm having a flare up since I've felt the same exact way for more then a year. Is this a flare up or just my life?

Ugh! I can deal with the shots, the nauseau, the stiffness, the whole 9 yards. I really can't deal with my massage being taken away!!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Honey, you dont have to lose your massage....if you want to try it, try it. If you have a negative reaction to it, you'll know! You mentioned that you dont know how youll know if you are having a flare-up. Trust me, you will know.

You could wake up with Optic Neuritis, which is painful. You could wake up with new tingling or numbness in some other part of your body that you havent noticed before. You could wake up with weakness in one leg or both- you could wake up with a muscle spasm that wont stop or a tremor which is unusual. You could wake up with an all over feeling that something isnt right!

Now, none of that should happen by having a massage- and ALL or ANY of it could happen because we have MS, and thats what MS does- it suprises us and comes on as a small warning. But then again, you might NEVER have any of those things happen and being on Rebif definately decreases the chances that they will. The idea that stimulating the deep tissue, closer to the nerves can actually cause things to happen is fact; however there is just as much documentation that relieving stress is very good for MSers, and if this is one of the "great moments" in your life, you shouldnt give it up!!!

have the massage, ask the massage therapist to be careful of any areas where you already have any body stress, and ask her to go lighter in those areas....let her work the heck out of any areas which you know you particularly love and have no symtoms. And, enjoy life!

The biggest thing we have to remember with MS is we can take precautions and lower our risks, but we cant stop living!!!
Nikki

Old 04-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
(female)

JodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB User

I'm so confused. I thought MS is supposed to remit. Will we never feel normal again? Will the dizzyness ever go away? My MS dr. said in most cases it does over time. One of my lesions were in the area of brain that explains the dizzyness. Doesn't the myelin rebuild itself? Also, the treatments don't help the symptoms right?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Jodi, this isnt the right place for this, we would be hijacking the thread about deep tissue massage, but youve got good questions and I think you should start a new thread to ask them. However, NO, myelin does NOT rebuild in most cases...and remitting relapsing MS means that you have episodes of remission- however once you have permenant damage to a nerve, chances are it wont reverse itself. Ive had numb hands and fingers for almost 5 years and although I am on Rebif, and yes, it has prevented new damage and new relapses, it will NOT ever help the permenant nerve damage which occured before I got on it. However, yes, on most days I feel fine! You not only get used to the things you cant change, but you appreciate the days when nothing in particular is bothering you. Once I was on my drug for about 5 months, I noticed that I was feeling better, even if the symptoms never stopped. Lets continue this when you start a new thread, okay? Theres lots more myself and others can talk to you about...
Nikki

Old 04-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
(female)

msmak3 HB User
Smile Re: Any concerns with a deep tissue massage?

I agree. Don't give up your massage. I also love deep tissue massage and will not give it up. What is done is done...I do not believe that massage will change that. Enjoy.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Msmak3-
Although Im the one who posted dont give it up becaue if its something you love, you shouldnt go without it....I should have clarified and said that you shouldnt give it up but you should be highly aware of the fact that deep tissue can trigger already sensitive areas.

SO, my advice is only schedule it while you are feeling strong and good. DO not ever have a deep tissue massage when you are feeling weak or "off" thinking it will help. It will more then likely aggravate. and, you should avoid having the therapist massage areas with a history of problems.

I have hand and leg issues, when my manicurist tries to massage my hands, I jump out of my skin! When my massage therapist gets close to my left hand and arm, she knows to go gently, even if she pounded the heck out of my legs! Its all about communication....but giving it up "just in case' shouldnt be a sacrafice that anyone should make.

Nikki

Old 04-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
(female)

Thanks for the feedback. I guess if the biggest problem I have right now is whether to get a Swedish or Deep Tissue Massage, I'm not doing so bad.

I certainly don't want to do anything to risk making the bad worse, but I also don't want this to control my every decision. I will talk to my doctor and see what he suggests.

Thanks for being a sounding board!

Old 04-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Sound away!! Go for it, as long as you go into feeling good. If you have any doubts, have the Swedish and skip the deep tissue...but whatever you do, do it. Live and learn....if you have a problem with it, youll know not to do it next time. But chances are the stress reduction will be good for you and youll enjoy it so much you wont wait a year to book your next one!
Nikki

Closed Thread