It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
(female)

msuracer HB User
So I think I have a new symptom but Im new and not sure

Im not on meds right now and my next appoitment isnt until september. My doctor told me to call if the symptoms I have get worse. He pretty much told me I have MS but to be offically diagnosed he wanted to wait until the 6 month MRI. Ive had the typical numbness/tingling in my arms and legs and normally it gets bad in my right arm when Im sleeping. That hasnt gotten any worse. Ive also had problems with swallowing because it feels like there are times where I have a knot on the right side of my throat. Ive noticed thats been happening a little more frequently the past week but no more than usual when I have episodes like that. What has got me a little concerned is the past two days I have noticed that when I wake up the right side of my face including my tongue feels weird. It serisouly almost feels like the right side of my tongue is asleep/numb. Ive never felt that before in my life and I think its even bothering me in my sleep because I will kind of wake up in the middle of the night and feel that sensation bothering me. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you think its related to the MS? Its not like a huge problem but its new so Im not sure if its something to call my doctor about. I dont want him to think Im crazy.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: So I think I have a new symptom but Im new and not sure

Facial numbness on one side can be from MS. I would contact your doctor as he told you. When we question our sanity, the doubt can prevent assistance. In the beginning it will all be new to you, but in a short time, you will learn to know what is MS and what is not. There have been times when I have gone to the doctor and she has been able to see MS in my face, that is, one side was droopy- even though I had not felt the symptom.

Swallowing difficulties are part of my every day life. Since learning the practice here on these forums, I alleviate much of my swallowing difficulties with ice cold water to drink. In addition, there are some foods which I have given up because they either cause choking or they "feel" difficult to swallow.

At night I sleep with my upper body on an incline. If I do this, I have good sleep and no swallowing or choking problems at night.

As to the facial numbness, my doctor showed me that if I looked in the mirror and smiled, I would be able to "see" my numbness. My left side always smiles better than my right side- indicating my right side problem. Luckily the mirror does not break- yet! So anything less than a broken mirror= Good News!!

BTW, you might want to journal this problem to test the persistence of the problem. MS symptoms are not generally fleeting. Even if the numbness appears to go away, continue the mirror check by making a natural smile- not forced. Note the right and left corners of your mouth.

Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 04-25-2010 at 06:39 AM. Reason: add

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
(female)

msuracer HB User

Thanks for the advice. Im going to give them a call in the morning. I notice that when I drink liquids that will sometime trigger the problem in my throat. It happens even when I dont drink sometimes. It just drives me nuts because sometimes it affects my talking.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Its scary when we experience new symtoms...something that COULD be triggering this is it is allergy season and I know that my husband is going thru a similar type of problem, and he doesnt have MS....but then again, it could very well be a MS thing. You probably wont know - but your doctor should be told.

Ice drinks, sucking on ice chips and of course trying some sort of decongestant might help you...if its allergy related, you can also try rinsing your sinuses with saline- either a netti pot or one of the new spray rinses that are out can really help to clear you out....but if its MS, it may just be random, and those things COME and GO whenever they feel like it.

Unfortunately, there isnt a cure- you can only treat the symtoms. Try not to overthink it, stress will make it worse then it is already....
feel better soon.
nikki

Closed Thread