It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
(female)

Jean P HB User
Vitamin D and my situation

I submit this for comment. My mother had a diagnosed case of MS at age 45, an aggressive form of it. My brother has type 1 diabetes. So auto-immune is present in my family. At age 17, I started having vision problems 3 or 4 times a year --vision would turn snowy for an hour or two and I would get a massive headache at the same time. Also, I started drooling non-stop. I would occasionally get tingling sensations in my fingers. And I had periods where I had a hard time controlling my bladder. I saw an internal medicine doctor who told me it could not be ms because the symptoms were not permanent. He did not run any tests (no MRI), just observed me in his office. I later concluded his diagnosis was questionable.

Anyway, these symptoms came and went periodically, they were nothing I couldn't deal with. About a year and a half ago, my father told me about a study which found a possible connection between MS and a vitamin D deficiency. He bought me some Vitamin D pills and encouraged me to take them, as kind of a "just in case" type approach with the knowledge that taking it would not adversely affect my health. I began taking one 2000 IU pill daily. Since that time, not one of the symptoms I had been experiencing has occurred. I'm not a doctor and cannot professionally diagnose what happened, I'm only speculating. But I do attribute the stopping of the various symptoms to the taking of Vitamin D. I suppose it could be just a coincidence, but I don't think so.

Anyway, I thought I would relate my experience to get comments, to see if anyone else has had a similar experience, and perhaps to give an idea to others. I lived in fear that some day I would get MS like my mother. I'm only 25. So anyway, there it is. (Recently, I started taking 5000 IU. I just buy it off the shelf at Walmart or the local grocery store.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Vitamin D and my situation

First, if you are buying a vitamin at Walmart, you probably arent buying a good quality vitamin. So, be very careful. The only vitamin D you should be taking is D3 or Calcipherol. Secondly, you shouldnt be taking 5000 mgs a day- and if you do take that much, you should be having your blood monitored regularly. You can do damage by overdosing on Vitamin D.

The studies which correlate VItamin D deficiency and MS were done many MANY years ago. What they showed was that people who live further from the equator and have north European ancestory are the most likely to get MS. Its not been proven, its a theory.

I grew up on the shores of Jersey- Spent every day of my childhood out in the sun. Was a life guard for 10 years in my teens into my 20s during the summer months. I got MS. IM not buying into this theory.

Fearing the unknown is a sure way to convince yourself something is wrong with you, so do NOT fear what you have no reason to suspect really.

If you do not think your doctor is taking your concerns far enough then change doctors. You already know you should be seeing a Neurologist, if you are concenred about MS. But I honsetly think, from the symtoms you described and the lack of time they stuck around, that its not MS. Your doctor was right MS symptoms do not come and go like you described.

Nikki

Old 05-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I grew up on a dairy farm and drank whole milk until I was 20. I also spent most of my time outside working in the sun. I do not believe in the Vitamin D deficiency theory. If it were true, then there should be hard evidence that can be reproduced via experimentation.

With regards to vitamins and nutritional deficiencies, there are a plethora of known maladies which are shown via reproducible experiments. If MS was a simple lack of Vitamin D, there would already be a cure for MS.

Living in fear of getting MS can in fact present you with MS like symptoms due to your fear and anxiety. There is nothing to fear from MS. MS does not change you. You cannot point out MSers walking on the street. MS does not change you, fear and anxiety can definitely change you and control your life. It is sad that your Mom experienced aggressive MS, but that does not mean you need to be shackled in fear. You wind up buying quackeries that only take your money away from you.

Live your life one day at a time. I have had this disease going on 33 years. I spent 2 whole days out of 12,045 days worrying about my MS. I have never looked back and each day I look forward to enjoying the blessings that day has provided me. I would highly recommend you lose your shackles before you lose your enjoyment of life.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
(female)

JodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB User

I beg to differ with Niki and Jayhawk. After my diagnosis, she put me 3000 D's a day and will re-evaluate me. My D was low but still normal. There is a lot of recent work on the correlation and a lot of was done through the Center I am seen at. In fact, my colleague's daughter is a PHD who did her study on the high correlation. Omega's are also great for the brain-salmon, sardines..I buy the ones that are little tablets of yogurt becuz I have a tough time w/pills.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

No one is saying that MSers cant have low vitamin D levels; many MANY people do have low Vitamin D levels, but certainly no one believes that low vitamin D levels CAUSE MS. I think thats what should be clarified.
nikki

Old 05-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
(female)

WANNABE HB User

My daughter has a similar concern, she is 24 and her doctor has her taking extra vitamin D in hopes it will keep her from getting MS. I am 50 and was diagnosed at 35. Keep your head up lady, I applaud you for taking action now.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
(female)

msuracer HB User

My neuro recommended that I take vit D. They said most people have low vit D. Ive never had my levels tested but Ive grown up in the country and have never been a stranger to being outside and in the sun, until now. The way I understand it from my doctor and just from the anatomy class I took. A lack of vit D is not what causes MS. No one knows what does. What can happen is a vit D deficiency can cause your body to mimic some of the symptoms of MS. I think the reason they recommend it to MS patients is because vit D is important for muscles and nerves to function and conduct properly. Taking Vit D is just a way to help keep the nerves as healthy as possible against a disease that damages them. Maybe Im wrong but thats just what I understood from it.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

youre actully not wrong at all! In fact, youre exactly right!! Hope you got an A in that class!

no one knows what causes MS is probably the most important part to take from what you said, although the need for Vitamin D is very important too....and it should be noted that a simple blood test is all it takes to get an accurate Vitamin D level- everyone should ask to have their levels checked at least once every few years. Wouldnt it be wonderful to find out the only reason we all developed MS is because we were lacking something so easy to supplement?
Nikki

Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
(male)

unclesam612 HB User

I went to my nero a couple weeks ago my vitamin D level was 5 very low, the lowest he said he had ever seen was 14, but in the 8 years I have had blood work done never 1 time has my D level been an issue. I live in South Carolina and used to love the sun,and drank milk (whole). I stopped drinking milk just don't like it any more. I take D3 2000 IU twice daily. I don't think a lack of D causes MS if it did I would think after all the research that has been done they would have figured that 1 out. Don't you. What causes MS who knows. what causes lottery winners ? the luck of the draw? If we knew what caused MS then there would be a cure. Maybe MS deplete the body of D I don't know. All I can be sure of is we need vitamin D for our body to function properly. I have a friend who does NOT have MS. who's D levels was very low she ended up in the hospital. The joints in her arms locked up and she could not move them. MS has many symptoms. Some mimic other conditions.If you feel like you have MS then ask for a MRI and maybe a spinal tap. With a close family member having MS you do have a higher risk but there is no guarantee that you have it. I will pray you don't.

Closed Thread