It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

msuracer HB User
twitches/spasms?

Im going for my 6 month follow up MRI and appoitment on Monday. My first MRI showed lesions and my doctor said he thought it could be MS but he wanted to wait until my 6 month MRI before making any kind of definate diagnosis. I noticed something new tonight and wanted to seek opinions on weather it might be MS related. Im going to tell my doctor about it but I figured until then I would ask people on here. I was sitting in the chair with my legs up and all of a sudden I get a weird feeling in my calf muscle. I looked down and my muscle is twitching irradically. Ive never had this happen before. I even tried moving my toes to get it to stop and its still doing it. It feels and looks so weird and its still doing it right now and had been going on for 20 minutes. Its not painful just weird. Its not like a muscle cramp. Its like a certain small area on my leg is just spasming. I was just wondering if others experience this or if its just a normal thing that happens to everybody. I do think Im in a slight flare because one of the MS symptoms Ive had for a while is problems with one side of my throat feeling like a knot causing problems swallowing sometimes and making speaking a little more difficult. Ive been trying to stay cool but Ive had to work all week and this weekend and I know its taking a toll on my body because I feel like I cant hardly stay awake past noon from exhaustion. Any advice or opinions about the spasms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: twitches/spasms?

msuracer: The spasms could be a magnesium deficiency. Look into that. Do you drink alot of caffeine? If so, caffeine depletes the magnesium in you. I was getting twitching under my eyes and when I started taking the magnesium it went away. It could also be restless leg syndrome. I just saw an article on TV the other day about RLS and they recommended melatonin for it. I have to research this melatonin more. It's a hormone excreted by the pineal gland in the brain. It is responsible for inducing sleep and this is why women get insomnia at menopause because this hormone isn't being produced enough. I wonder if it could help the twitching?

Old 09-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Muscle cramps are part of my daily battle with MS. Twitching, spasms, and vibrations in my legs are daily, too. The vibrations are such that I often have a hard time distinguishing between my muscle vibration and the cell phone vibration.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 09-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
(female)

msuracer HB User

I dont drink caffeine at all. I already have problems with having to pee alot haha so caffeine is definatly out. I dont have any problems sleeping. Since I started my new job I constantly feel like I need to sleep. I get so tired by lunch time I feel like my eyes could start watering because they feel so heavy. When I take a nap its never a 30 minute power nap. I can eaisly sleep for 3 hours straight and still have a hard time waking up and have to make myself get up because I still feel tired during the day. Its been a couple of hours and the spasms are still happening off and on. Its just a small spot. Is there anything I might be able to try to help it calm down a little if it starts back bad again? Oh I also meant to ask if someone in your family has MS does that increase your chances? I found out last week I have a 3rd cousin who has MS. She is blood related. My papaws sister has a grand daughter that has been diagnosed with MS. I didnt know this when I saw my doctor the first time.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
(male)

joetee316 HB User

I get cramps/charley horses all the time when I'm sleeping. It's become quite annoying and they hurt. I hear tonic water is great to have. Solves the problem right away. Anyone else know about this? My spasms don't really happen so frequently anymore but lately my left eye has been twitching.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I have not heard about tonic water for cramps. I use stretching to alleviate my cramps. I try to avoid filling my bladder until morning, otherwise I am making runs to the toilet all night!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
(female)

stormonto57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetee316 View Post
I get cramps/charley horses all the time when I'm sleeping. It's become quite annoying and they hurt. I hear tonic water is great to have. Solves the problem right away. Anyone else know about this? My spasms don't really happen so frequently anymore but lately my left eye has been twitching.
Hi I don't want to sound stupid but I don't know what 'charley horses' mean. I come from England and we don't use that expression here, haha. I've heard about tonic water, it's supposed to be the quinine in it, that is good for cramps and spasms.
I often drink tonic water, just because I like it, but I haven't noticed my spasms improving. My spasms are worse if I'm cold and when I used to walk a lot they started every night.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

I think I'd call a "charley horse" a bad muscle cramp, if that helps.

As for the tonic water, I'd heard the same, that it is the quinine. In any event, it does in fact stop my cramping/spasming muscles immediately. I always have some in my refrigerator.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
(female)

stormonto57 HB User

Thanks now I know what it means, funny name, haha. I rarely get cramps, when I do it's always in my right leg when I'm in bed at night. I take Gabapentin and Amytriptoline at night for nerve pain and these also help me sleep so I don't notice any spasms.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormonto57 View Post
Hi I don't want to sound stupid but I don't know what 'charley horses' mean. I come from England and we don't use that expression here, haha. I've heard about tonic water, it's supposed to be the quinine in it, that is good for cramps and spasms.
I often drink tonic water, just because I like it, but I haven't noticed my spasms improving. My spasms are worse if I'm cold and when I used to walk a lot they started every night.
A "charley horse" is a colloquial term for painful spasms or cramps in the leg muscles or in the foot, it can last from a few seconds to a few hours. To me it feels as though you have been kicked by a horse (or for me, a cow). It can also refer to a bruising of the quadriceps muscle on the back or side of the thigh. In the UK you might know it as dead leg, granddaddy, or chopper. Down under in Australia it is also known as a corked thigh or "corky." LOL, English is a simple language, isn't it?

I have found that stretching is my relief from these cramps.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

See why I love this board? I'm learning "International English"!

Whatever we call it, it propels me out of bed and causes me to whimper like a child when I get one at night! But at night is preferable to those I've gotten half-way through Ikea!

Closed Thread