It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

littlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB User
ANA test and MS

Hi Everyone

I have just received some blood work back. All ok apart from my white cell count is still elevated, it has been this way for 6 months solid.

I had a ANA test which was negative, however I am lead to believe that this test if positive can indicate that there is an auto immune response going on, though it cannot detect what type.

If this is the case would I be right in thinking that you would have to have a positive ANA if you have MS, or is this not always the case.

It's probably a silly question, but I am a little confused.

Many thanks

Ruth

Absence of proof is not proof of absence....

Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: ANA test and MS

There is no single test for MS. Remember, there are over 400 disease possibilities. It is like a giant buffet. Everything must be tried and the end result will be MS if nothing on the buffet fits! Though it may be difficult, you are, with each test, stepping closer to a diagnosis. According to the National Institute of Health (NIH) here in the states, studies showing that the presence or absence of ANAs in patients with MS is not really very significant. If your doctor is counting on one test alone to diagnose you, RUN! The best MS doctors will run the revised McDonald Criteria.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

And, to answer your question, you do NOT need a positive ANA test to have MS..
I have negative too. However, I have 55+ lesions on my brain and a host of MS symptoms to support my dx....

Nikki

Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
(female)

littlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB User

Thank you both for the replies. I thought that an ANA test was not a fair indication of MS or any auto-immune disease, but I do then however wonder what the point of this test is? i know it is only generally used to indicate whether something is going on or not, and requires further investigation if it is positive. Unfortunately my Doctor has the attitude that if it's negative, there is nothing wrong with you! which is not terribly helpful. I seem to be having rather bad luck with doctors, I hope I find a decent one soon.

Thanks again

Ruth

Closed Thread