It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
(female)

AMEA HB User
Rubber band sensation on stomach

The rubber band feeling is from the lesion being on your spinal cord. Sometimes I get that feeling so what I do is put something tight like a back brace or something similar on. This helps you to see that there is "something" around your waist and the feeling you are feeling is from that. It's a mind thing,lol. You don't go crazy trying to take something off your waist when there is no way, no how you can do it. Keep the brace around your waist as long as you have that rubber band feeling and this will help you out alot, it helped me alot. Hope this helps.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-22-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: to make a new thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Rubber band sensation on stomach

Amea,
You are responding to a very old post, you may not get any responses to your advice...
However the rubber band feeling being described in this thread, may not be caused by a lesion in the spine. It could simply be the MS hug, which has nothing to do with spinal lesions...
Or, you could be correct. The disease is so individualized..
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
(female)

AMEA HB User

Okay, thank you, I didn't notice the date lol.
MS is caused by lesions being on your spinal card and brain.

Last edited by AMEA; 09-21-2010 at 06:09 AM.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Amea,
They do not know what causes MS.

They do know that MS causes by the body to attack itself, an auto-immune disorder, where the body attacks the central nervous sytem, including the eyes, spine and brain. A lesion is simply a scar, where the attack of the myelin sheath occured and left a scar on the body, showing up on the MRI as a white mark. Normally, scars which are active attacks, glow under contrast.

Why you stated that this could cause a rubber band sensation on the stomache is what concerned me. That stomache banding is usually a symtom of MS, called the MS hug, which occurs in many MS patients, its random, it comes and goes, and its actually a nerve contraction, not caused by a lesion, but by weakening of the nerves from previous attacks usually on the brain!

Rebif, the drug in question in this post, also causes stomache aches when first used and can cause something like the original poster described....

Do you have MS? Are you on any disease modifying drugs for it? Why dont you introduce yourself to us and tell us more about what challenges you face and how you handle your disease? We would love to "meet you".
Welcome to the boards.
Nikki

Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 AM   #5
(female)

AMEA HB User

Yes, I do have MS. I had MS for 6 years. I was told by my DR that the banding feeling is one of the symptoms from the lesion being on the spinal cord. That is where I got my information from. I could have misunderstood my DR. I do know when I do wrap something around my stomach, it helps me mentally because when I get that feeling, I start to try to take off that band feeling around my stomach when really, it is nothing there to take off. I am still trying to know more about MS so it would be great to learn from other people that have MS and is more knowledgeable than I am. I have been taking Ribif since I was diagnose. It has helped me out alot by stopping new lesions from appearing on my brain,spinal cord and stopping alot of the symptoms. I appreciate you correcting me if I was incorrect in describing where the banding comes from, I am still trying to learn about MS myself.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Honey, I wasnt correcting you in where the banding comes from. I corrected the first line, that MS is caused by lesions on the spine and brain...they dont know what causes MS! The rest of it is fluff- trying to give you alittle more information.

Actually, we are very similar in our dx...I too, have had MS for just under 6 years. I took 2 copaxone shots, almost died and then was switched to Rebif where I have remained for about 5 years now. I love Rebif...Im also stable; with no new lesions. I only have brain lesions so far (but over 60 of them) and do not show any on my spine- but I have had some serious optical neuritis issues in the very beginning of my dx. Since being on Rebif for 6 full months, I have not had a relapase or new symptom. Rebif isnt supposed to stop symtoms which already occured, but prevent new ones; if you were lucky enough to have your symtoms stop, you probably caught them before any permanent damage was done...once it is done, there is no reversing it!

I still have my onset symtoms...numb hands and fingers, no use of my left hand beyond simple pain constantly. Im in grad school, married wit 3 kids and work 50+ hours a week. Nothing stops me, especially not having MS!

Again, welcome to this board where you will find an opinion or answer to all things MS related! Whatever we can help you with....ask!
Nikki

Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
(female)

AMEA HB User

Okay, thank you so much for the info. I can learn alot from people like you.

Closed Thread