It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
(female)

tyger0902 HB User
Drug therapy and medicare

Hi everyone,

Next year I will be on Medicare and I'm trying to figure this all out. Are any of the injectibles covered my Medicare part B? Right now I am on my employers pre-medicare and I only pay $65 per month after paying 1700 deductible. The reason I'm asking I can get the basic medicare/gap plan and that has a total coins limit of $3000 then they pay 100%. I'm looking into getting the shots at my dr's office if I can (after doing them myself for 4 yrs).

For the medicare part D it's $310 ded w/$2830 initial coverage limit then you move into the $4550 gap (expensive because of how much Avonex is) then you pay 5%. Ugh so confusing. Why do these drugs have to be so expensive? This is the only expensive drug I take all the others are generics.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Drug therapy and medicare

Though i do not do meds, I did spend time speaking with medicare for my mom and getting her med gap plan for meds chosen. You need to get a Medicare booklet and find out what plans are in your area. Next, layout a table with a calculator to determine what plan or level will fit your needs. There are many Part D options depending on your area. The nice thing is that the medicare representative really helped me figure things out.

A bit of patience and a good calculator are needed. If you are using DMDs, you will know your annual med costs and this helps you choose.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User
Re: Drug therapy and medicare

The medicare web site (.gov) helps immensely! It takes you through a step-by-step to figure out who covers your meds, what the costs to you will be, etc.

Last edited by Lisa_P; 11-08-2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread