It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

DebbieMo HB User
Brain Lesions - Not sure if MS or Stroke

I am new to this site. I am a 52 year old Grandma who has MS like symptoms for 10+ years. My left arm went numb 5 years ago, nobody knows why. I have had migranes most of my life. Last year I had inner ear infections most of the year, and even though the infection is gone, I am still dizzy all the time. I haved episodes of severe bone pain in my legs, along with numbness. My MRI shows a 5mm lesion, which I am told could be an old stroke? Also, I have 9 small lesions on the right side of my brain, but not in the area where MS lesions usually are. Anybody else have brain lesions like this? Are MS lesions always in the same place? I have an appointment with a neurologist next month.

Thanks

Debbie

Old 11-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Brain Lesions - Not sure if MS or Stroke

MS lesions can be found in your brain, cervical spine and thoracic spine.

Have you seen a neurologist who deals with MS?
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 11-15-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

DebbieMo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
MS lesions can be found in your brain, cervical spine and thoracic spine.

Have you seen a neurologist who deals with MS?
Yes, I just starting seeing a neurologist at UCSF MS Center, who has ordered more MRI's and other tests, because the lesions, that are in my brain, are not in the usual area that MS lesions are found. So he is testing me to see if these could be strokes. I do not have high blood pressure, don't smoke, and don't have any other risk factors for stroke. He says that most MS patients have the lesions in the same areas of the brain. I was just wondering if anyone else that has MS has lesions that are "not in the usual area" of the brain.

Thanks

Debbie

Old 11-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hamfrie HB Userhamfrie HB User

yes, my lesions are not in the place they usually are for MS in my brain.
The cervical lesion though gave me the MS diagnosis (plus the symptoms/attacks and +LP)

Last edited by hamfrie; 11-15-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMo View Post
Yes, I just starting seeing a neurologist at UCSF MS Center, who has ordered more MRI's and other tests, because the lesions, that are in my brain, are not in the usual area that MS lesions are found. So he is testing me to see if these could be strokes. I do not have high blood pressure, don't smoke, and don't have any other risk factors for stroke. He says that most MS patients have the lesions in the same areas of the brain. I was just wondering if anyone else that has MS has lesions that are "not in the usual area" of the brain.

Thanks

Debbie
No worries. In 2002 my legs finally put me on the disabled list and that episode was due to active lesions on the thoracic spine. My neuro showed me my brain and it has lesions in many locations.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 11-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

MS lesions and Stroke scars (lesions but they arent called lesions with strokes) are not the same, dont appear the same and can fairly easily be differentiated by a decent radiologist...a Neurologist can definately tell the difference.

I wouldnt worry! And, yes, there is no "usual' place for brain lesions. I have over 50 on my brain and they are in every single area imaginable! I also work fulltime, go to school fulltime and have 3 kids.....lesions or amount of them, means absolutely NOTHING- its the placement and the nerve damage which occurs when they happen, which tells if there will be any issues with the body.

Try to hang in there. Waiting for your neurologist is hard, but if there was somthing that NEEDED to be addressed now, you would probably get a call from their office moving your appointment up.

Be well.
Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
DebbieMo (11-16-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
(female)

chrissyd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
MS lesions and Stroke scars (lesions but they arent called lesions with strokes) are not the same, dont appear the same and can fairly easily be differentiated by a decent radiologist...a Neurologist can definately tell the difference.

I wouldnt worry! And, yes, there is no "usual' place for brain lesions. I have over 50 on my brain and they are in every single area imaginable! I also work fulltime, go to school fulltime and have 3 kids.....lesions or amount of them, means absolutely NOTHING- its the placement and the nerve damage which occurs when they happen, which tells if there will be any issues with the body.

Try to hang in there. Waiting for your neurologist is hard, but if there was somthing that NEEDED to be addressed now, you would probably get a call from their office moving your appointment up.

Be well.
Nikki
To be positive for MS are there always lesions on the brain or can you have MS with no lesions? A lot of my syptoms are the same for MS but the brain scan showed no lesions or growths of any kind. It did find an enlargement in the CSF space along the right cerebellar pontine angle region. I have searched for hours online trying to find out iformation about that but have found nothing. Is it something that could be a sign of MS or potential of developing MS because a lot of my symptoms fit, though they also fit for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome? What exactly are the symptoms of MS in case I have been misinformed. Someone that has it would be able to tell me the best information because they live with it.
Chrissy

Closed Thread