It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

msuracer HB User
can cold affect MS ?

This might be a stupid question but I was wondering if the cold weather can have an effect on MS. I know heat can make symptoms worse. The temp has been in the 25-40 range the past couple of days and Ive just noticed it seems like Im tripping more, having blurry vision at times, and lose my grip alot more often.

The Following User Says Thank You to msuracer For This Useful Post:
Merryca (12-01-2010)
Old 11-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: can cold affect MS ?

Yes, cold can affect MS symptoms.

Some with MS are heat intolerant, some are cold intolerant and some have problems with both.

I am both heat and cold intolerant.

I have more neuropathic pain and stiffness (spasticity), which makes it more difficult to walk when it's cold

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Ditto to what Snoopy told you. For me the cold causes problems when the temps drop below 52 F (or higher if wind chill). (I, too, am heat intolerant.)

I cycle downward annually around Nov/Dec. If you track your symptoms, you may find seasonal effects will follow you too.

BTW, there are no stupid questions!! Remember, anything that causes stress in your environment causes stress to your body and can cause your MS to affect you.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 11-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
(female)

msuracer HB User

I was affected by the heat this summer too. I had just never heard anything about the cold but Ive just been tripping so much I knew something had to be going on. Its like Im just not lifting my foot/leg high enough and if Ive been outside my feet hurt so bad. Ive been getting spasms between my shoulder blades too, not to mention the fatigue. Now that I know whats proably causing it I can try to fix it hopefully.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
(female)

Wilc516 HB UserWilc516 HB User

Add me to the list of those with cold intolerance! As the temps drop, I'm noticing my symptoms getting worse.

I have zero issues with heat, I relish the middle of the summer, high 90 temps with oppressive humidity. I park myself outside every chance I get and have no problems whatsoever.

Living in New England, the cold is setting in as is my discomfort. When having my infusion last month, I was chatting with a man who has had MS for 19 years and said I was the first person he had talked to that had issues with cold intolerance. He said he figured it was all in his head until I mentioned it. So maybe it isn't the most common problem?

Now that I think about it, I wonder if it is any coincidence that I was diagnosed the beginning of last February. The symptom that FINALLY got enough attention was the tingling and numbness in my left hand which started, well, just about this time last year. Hmmmmmm........

Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
(female)

Merryca HB User

HELLO ALL
I too was just going to ask the cold intolerance question too. I get numbness in my hands and feet and i dont have to even be outside to get that way. I just blew it off all these years but during just the last couple have noticed it more often and since being dx in july and reading this now I know why. I am so glad for this board.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
(female)

JodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB User

I am also feeling very stiff and achy like I have arthritis and I am cracky in my bones. I don't recall any of this in summer. I too was diagnosed in winter last year but my symptom was primarily vertigo. I guess I hope it's weather related as at least it's not every day forever just part of the year and I can focus on when it gets warm so I will feel better.

Closed Thread