It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 107
JOG1151 HB User
Can MS come on this quickly???

I've never had any symptoms previously that were indicative of MS until a month ago.

I'm a 56 year old female, in decent health, other than some herniated discs in my neck and lower back. I also recently had a partial thyroidectomy a month ago.

Up until my surgery a month ago I was extremely active. I worked out with a personal trainer twice a week. Played tennis, walked for exercise...even did all the snow shoveling (I'm from NJ and trust me weve had quite a bit of snow).

About 10 days before my surgery, I was laying down in bed, sat up...and the room started spinning. I thought perhaps I had just gotten up too quickly and blew it off. The next morning, while in the shower, I had the same sensation, I actually felt like I had to hold on to the shower walls or I would fall.

The "dizzy" sensation passed, I forgot about it..and had my thyroid surgery as scheduled.

After my surgery, I felt very dizzy, which I attributed to the surgery and the anesthesia.

Unfortunately the feeling has persisted, and it is now a month later.

If I am sitting still or laying down, the dizzy off balance feeling goes away. It is only when I walk that the sensation kicks in.

My eye Dr, examined me and gave my eyes a clean bill of health. I did have a slight vision change, my distance got better, and my reading got worse. Eye doc said this was normal.

I went to see my regular MD and he said I had "Benign positional Vertigo".

I have also noticed that I have been unusually tired this last month. Which could be because I have been laying on the couch for a month, plus my thyroid levels are still low,

My legs do feel shaky when I walk, not all the time, just some of the time...not sure what to make of this if it's real or in my head.

The dizzy off balance feeling is for real though.

My regular MD said that vertigo is very common, and it should pass in about 6 weeks.

When I wake up in the morning I actually feel OK, seems to progress the more I walk around and move my head.

I'm terrified that this is the beginning of MS.

Can anyone comment or provide more info. Thank you.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 8,471
MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Can MS come on this quickly???

There are over 400 disease possibilities for diseases which present with MS-like symptoms; yes, MS can "show suddenly". But if you do have MS, it could be that you have missed some symptoms.

That said, what you described seems to have been addressed properly by your doctors. If you have lingering doubts, you can ask your doctor for a referral to see a neurologist who deals with MSers. Your partial thyroidectomy might be contributing to your medical concerns. Have you discussed post surgery effects? I say this because a former pastor of mine had to make some dietary adjustments and takes daily meds due to his thyroid surgery. Your metabolism will probably be affected by the partial thyroidectomy which has likely added to some of your problems.

In summary, I would not attribute your current concerns with MS, but if you need a second opinion, then seek a neurologist who deals with MSers.
__________________
MS diagnosed since October 3, 1982
MS onset circa 1977
Proud to be MED FREE!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

 
The following user gives a hug of support to MSJayhawk:
JOG1151 (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,779
MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Can MS come on this quickly???

Hi there. Im also from NJ. Heck of a winter, wasnt it? If you need the name of a Neurologist who specializes in MS, let us know. Give us a county, or city which you live near, and we can probably give you some docs. There are plenty of us here from the NY/Phil corridor!

Your symtoms seem to be mainly balance/dizziness issues which are classic for benign Vertigo as your doctor suggested. This can be a MS symptom, but for some of us, we have never had these issues. I have balance issues due to my unsteady gait, but have never had to deal with vertigo.

You are not mentioning any of the most common MS related symtoms, which leads me to think you might be having complications or reactions to your thyroidectomy and your simply panicking thinking MS. If it was MS, then no- it does not come on "all at once' and most patients have it for years before they are able to get a dx or even notice the symtoms. We tend to write things off as "normal for us" before an actual relapse hits and sends us seeking answers.

I hope you feel better soon. Take the extra time to heal from your surgery and trust your doctor. If you still think a Neurology consult is necessary, we will be happy to shout out some names.
Nikki
__________________
RRMS- dx 05

 
Old 03-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 107
JOG1151 HB User
Re: Can MS come on this quickly???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Hi there. Im also from NJ. Heck of a winter, wasnt it? If you need the name of a Neurologist who specializes in MS, let us know. Give us a county, or city which you live near, and we can probably give you some docs. There are plenty of us here from the NY/Phil corridor!

Your symtoms seem to be mainly balance/dizziness issues which are classic for benign Vertigo as your doctor suggested. This can be a MS symptom, but for some of us, we have never had these issues. I have balance issues due to my unsteady gait, but have never had to deal with vertigo.

You are not mentioning any of the most common MS related symtoms, which leads me to think you might be having complications or reactions to your thyroidectomy and your simply panicking thinking MS. If it was MS, then no- it does not come on "all at once' and most patients have it for years before they are able to get a dx or even notice the symtoms. We tend to write things off as "normal for us" before an actual relapse hits and sends us seeking answers.

I hope you feel better soon. Take the extra time to heal from your surgery and trust your doctor. If you still think a Neurology consult is necessary, we will be happy to shout out some names.
Nikki
Thank you Nikki!

I am in Monmouth County, Oceanport.

Hopefully we will coast through the rest of the winter here in NJ>

Thank you for the response, I will probably follow through woth a neuro if the dizzy symptoms do not resolve soon.

Any other info would be most appreciated. Thank you again.

 
Old 03-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,779
MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Can MS come on this quickly???

Hi there. You happen to have some really good Neurological Specialists in your area. Patrick Gainey is one of the best and he is located in Monmouth.

You also have the MS Center at CentraState in Monmouth Co....which is by far one of the very best MS centers on the East Coast. I myself, go to Robert Wood Johnson MS Center in New Brunswick, which i can also attest to being one of the premier facilities in our area- Dr. Jalbut is my MS specialist...

At any one of these facilities, you can obtain much more information and make an appointment for a consult....they dont just treat MS, they also rule it out. The great thing about a MS Neurologist, is he (or she) has seen it all, heard it all and nothing gets overlooked.....when you are dealing with a Neurologist without a speciality, they are not as familiar with how differently MS can present, or how many things can present LIKE MS.

Let us know what else we can do for you...
Stay well
Nikki
__________________
RRMS- dx 05

Last edited by MSNik; 03-01-2011 at 02:48 PM.

 
Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western New York
Posts: 248
JodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB User
Re: Can MS come on this quickly???

Hello, I don't want to alarm you because I may be an exception but my MS episode was diagnosed from waking one day with extreme vertigo. It lasted several weeks pretty bad and then some other symtoms hit. I still have residual vertigo and dizzyness/balance issues but nothing dreadful like that episode. In retrospect, however, I can point to other symptoms that I have had for years. Anyways, I was diagnosed with an MS episode, a clinically isolated syndrome. I won't get a clinical diagnosis until I have another episode or show more lesions. The important thing is that the vertigo prompted my dr. to give me an MRI which showed lesions, one was in the area of the brain that would cause vertigo. I am very active, work full time, healthy, a professional and mother of two children. I decided to start MS meds which I didn't have to do but as a precaution I am. If indeed your vertigo is a sign, consider it a good thing that you had a symptom that caused you to investigate and find it early. The earlier it's found and treated the much better the prognosis. I have no intention of the disease affecting me. I live my life as always. Vertigo is a killer though. I pray I never wake with it again. I had three distinct episodes where I was on the floor but now just now and then very briefly.

 
Old 03-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western New York
Posts: 248
JodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB User
Re: Can MS come on this quickly???

Please disregard this. I didn't think my other message posted but I see it did!

Last edited by JodiH; 03-02-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: duplicate response so removing

 
Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 107
JOG1151 HB User
Re: Can MS come on this quickly???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodiH View Post
Hello, I don't want to alarm you because I may be an exception but my MS episode was diagnosed from waking one day with extreme vertigo. It lasted several weeks pretty bad and then some other symtoms hit. I still have residual vertigo and dizzyness/balance issues but nothing dreadful like that episode. In retrospect, however, I can point to other symptoms that I have had for years. Anyways, I was diagnosed with an MS episode, a clinically isolated syndrome. I won't get a clinical diagnosis until I have another episode or show more lesions. The important thing is that the vertigo prompted my dr. to give me an MRI which showed lesions, one was in the area of the brain that would cause vertigo. I am very active, work full time, healthy, a professional and mother of two children. I decided to start MS meds which I didn't have to do but as a precaution I am. If indeed your vertigo is a sign, consider it a good thing that you had a symptom that caused you to investigate and find it early. The earlier it's found and treated the much better the prognosis. I have no intention of the disease affecting me. I live my life as always. Vertigo is a killer though. I pray I never wake with it again. I had three distinct episodes where I was on the floor but now just now and then very briefly.
Jodi, thank you for the response and the information.

May I ask what were the other symptoms you had had for years, but I'm assuming you ignored or did not tie in to the MS?

Glad to hear you are doing well now.

 
Old 03-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western New York
Posts: 248
JodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB User
Re: Can MS come on this quickly???

My other issues were frequent urination, low libido, some leg weakness now and then. I also have hyper reflexes in my legs. Of course looking at me you would think I look perfectly fit. None of my drs. thought the vertigo was from the MS until I went to a specialist for MS. My husband is still not convinced I have it curiously enough. Also, after the MRI pointed to MS they did an eye test that showed I had some minor thinning in my optic nerve. I never felt pain etc but apparently could mean I had optic neuritis of some sort in my early years and didn't know it.

Last edited by JodiH; 03-03-2011 at 01:56 AM.

 
Old 03-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2
crefan HB User
Re: Can MS come on this quickly???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOG1151 View Post
Thank you Nikki!

I am in Monmouth County, Oceanport.

Hopefully we will coast through the rest of the winter here in NJ>

Thank you for the response, I will probably follow through woth a neuro if the dizzy symptoms do not resolve soon.

Any other info would be most appreciated. Thank you again.
It's a small world my wife is from PT. Pleasant her daughter lives in Brick and goes to school at Monmouth University.

 
Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,779
MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Can MS come on this quickly???

Welcome Crefan! Why dont you start a post and introduce yourself. Do you have MS? Tell us what you want us to know!
Nikki
__________________
RRMS- dx 05

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Possible MS Symptoms AliAyson Multiple Sclerosis 4 11-15-2006 03:01 PM
Heat bringing on new symptoms Lorgirl Multiple Sclerosis 1 08-29-2006 01:51 PM
my Auto-inject is slowing down. baddoey Multiple Sclerosis 9 09-24-2005 07:32 PM
Guillain Barre Syndrome Mickey32 Multiple Sclerosis 2 08-18-2005 10:42 AM
Questions about steroid treatment purple2067 Multiple Sclerosis 13 09-07-2004 04:14 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



MSJayhawk (1007), MSNik (526), Snoopy61 (58), J-one (13), Whimpurr (13), shahila (12), JodiH (11), MS22 (11), KingBaxter (10), LasVegasgirl (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (670), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!