It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

roypasty HB User
cortisone injections

am 18 and i have MS the doctor has been giving a few cortisone injection and the pain of the injection is to much it hurts for days and doesn't work what can i do . I NEED HELP PLEASE HELP ME

Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: cortisone injections

Roy, Cortisone injections are not for MS pain...where are you getting injections and what is the reason that the doctor is giving them to you? Cortisone, known as trigger point injections dont work for every patient, and they arent usually used for MS. What else are you taking for your actual diagnosis?
Your so young to be dx with MS. im sorry to hear that you are! Cortisone is usually used for muscle spasms- which can be caused by MS, but its not going to really do much for MS pain. If you are having nerve pain, then Cortisone is not usually used....is this your Neuro who is injecting? Can you tell us more about his reasons for doing so and where he is injecting?

You stated that the injection actually hurts. Well, they do hurt!! Is he using lidicaine or another numbing agent before injecting? If he isnt, maybe its time to talk about going to another doctor! Those needles do hurt. I recieve them in my neck area, but mine are for herniated discs, not for MS pain exactly, but I do think my MS aggravates it.

I wish we could tell you more, but until you tell us more about why you are getting them and where- there isnt much we can give you. Have you tried any drugs for pain? Nerve pain drugs, like Neurontin or Cymbalta, might help you..

Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Hello roypasty,

I am guessing you are getting Acthar, also known as ACTH and is used for exacerbations (relapse, flare-up, attack). If this is the case, it can sometimes take awhile for any benefit to be seen.

My other thought is injections of cortisone which are used to help in the treatment of injuries.

Without more understanding of your situation I have no advice. Injections can hurt

Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
(female)

ShelleyTab HB User

I have neck pain and stiffness due to MS, and my neuro also suggested cortisone shots. I have some other neck issues, and long story short, I just wasn't even willing to try them. She said my next option would be neurontin/gabapentin to see if that helps.

If the shots are making things worse then talk to your neuro, see what other options there are and if it's normal to see no benefit and have so much pain at this point (sometimes things just take time). Be your own advocate!

Side Note - I was diagonosed at 18.. It's tough to be so young and have these issues.. But remember that what doesnt kill you DOES make you stronger. Hang it there, it gets easier with time.

- Shell

Closed Thread