It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

Beelucious HB User
Onset of Excruciating pain in lower back. Could this be M.S!

I've had mystery symptoms for years that seemed ''relapsing and remitting'' but I never thought of the possibility of multiple sclerosis until recently after having a particular episode.

Last month, I woke up suddenly in the middle of the night to shut my bedroom door because the light was getting in, and just as I took my first step I was struck with this ''lightning bolt'' of excruciating pain in my lower back that brought me to my knees. It felt like my spine was being twisted violently and I was locked from the inside out. This feeling lasted for over four days, and in bed I wasn't even able to turn my head or move any part of my body without feeling a surge of paralyzing pain that intensified to the point where I was given the impression that either my spine was going to shatter or I was bleeding internally - it was that bad. For a week I was totally disabled! and all that while I honestly felt like it was going to last forever and I'd be permanently bedridden. Then on day 5 or 6 it mysteriously ''went away'' as if it never existed and like I had just dreamt up the whole thing. This gave me a feeling of relief but I was left questioning myself for answers of what the hell just happened.

I had my self examined by a doctor three weeks ago and was told after an X-ray and a physical examination that everything looked totally normal and there was no evidence of anything sprained or broken and it was highly unlikely it was a ''degenerative disc'' thing either. But until an MRI is performed they won't know for sure, unfortunately Canadian health care gives that a waiting list of over six months -- so it will be quite a while until I can get an appointment. Slow process almost no answers, it just sucks.

Does anyone else see M.S as a possibility or is this something totally different or just a fluke. I would appreciate feedback hugely!

Last edited by Beelucious; 06-12-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Onset of Excruciating pain in lower back. Could this be M.S!

What you are experiencing may not be MS at all or it could be MS related. It could also be something as "simple" as a slip disc or a pinched nerve or ????

It is difficult to have to wait for 6 months to see a doctor. I hope that you can persevere through your troubles.

You might want to start keeping a journal of your journey. This can prove insightful to the doctor.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi. Im sorry you had that experience, sounds horribly painful!

Just so you know what you described isnt a typical MS thing at all. We dont get that sort of pain....MS is a disease of the central nervous system, and although it affects the spine, what you described isnt how its affected....also with MS stuff, it doesnt just magically dissappear over time leaving nothing behind to diagnose..

There are so many 'standard" MS symtoms, none of which you mentioned...that this doesnt sound neurological -but rather muscular. Only the MRI is really going to point you in the right direction....Im sorry you have to wait, there is no wait to do it privately?

I hope it doesnt return...and that you are on the mend!
Nikki

Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
(female)

Beelucious HB User

Yes I agree - now that I've done some more digging and research on M.S as a disease what I had experienced sounds totally unlike anything Multiple Sclerosis would bring to the table. I only guessed at the idea of M.S because the relapsing remitting aspect of it, which I thought would've explained the sudden flare of pain and remission of symptoms afterwards - but I guess not. I still have no idea what happended to me, but I have a feeling it's something autoimmune related.

Thank you so much for the reply! that brought me some huge relief.

Last edited by Beelucious; 06-17-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Closed Thread