It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

rplugs HB User
Kindly help me with my MRI report

Hi,
Thanks for reading and hopefully lending a hand!

I went to my primary care doctor last week as I was having a different sensation in my left cheek. Feels almost like i spent the day in the sun at the beach. It seems to occur though when I get nervous or panicky. I started to obsess about it and when to the Doctor and he sent me for an MRI of the brain. The MRI showed the below;

FLAIR imaging demonstrates a solitary small focus hyperintense signal within the deep white matter of the left posterior lobe, measuring 4mm, and is non specific in appearance. The focus may be related to prior infections or inflammatory process or may represent a tiny focus of microvascular ischemic injury.
On t2 weighted imaging, an additional 4mm focus of hyperintense signal is identified adjacent to the FLAIR focus.

Impression;
No acute intercranial abnormality.
Two small nonspecific foci of hyperintense signal within the deep white matter of the left frontal lobe, nonspecific in appearance, and may be the result of prior infectious or inflammatory or less likely a prior small vessel ischemic event.

I am going for Bloodwork tomorrow and it does include a lyme's test. I am terrible worried about MS, or anything being wrong for that matter. I am a 35 yr old female. My history includes 12 yrs of smoking, yet I quite 7 years ago. I do not drink alcohol. My only other weird symptom history is I had a few weeks of a dizzy spell 4 years ago and 6 months ago, a few months after having a baby, I was dizzy or more lightheaded for a few weeks. I have always been super sensitive to motion.

Thank you very much for your time!

Does this sound like MS? No further testing was noted on the radiology report.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Kindly help me with my MRI report

Hi there. sorry you are experiencing this type of pain. We are not doctors and I dont want you to take what Im about to say as gospel- you absolutely need to see a neurologist to confirm all this, but Id say there is a slim to None chance that you have MS, based on the MRI.

Nothing that would indicate demylinating disease is noted, everything that is noted regards previous infection- Im not going to say its certain, but Im betting nothing is wrong with you that is brain or neurological related. Even the lesions noted, arent MS lesions. I think your safe.

However, the numbness/ tingling isnt normal, so you should have blood work done. Make sure they are also testing you for all vitamin deficiencies, okay? B and D especially...both can present symtoms like you are stating.

You should also know that MRIs can change from week to week. What doesnt show up now, could show up later. You should also know that MS hides in the spine as often as the brain and they should have MRId your spine as well. The difference between having your regular GP order this and a Neuro order it, is the Neuro should have known what tests to order; however it wasnt a waste of time to have it done. At least you know you have a brain? Seriously, at least you know that there is nothing active on the brain right now which is causing this....

Oral (dental) problems can cause this sort of pain. Fibromyalgia can too- its going to take some ruling out to get your answers....but its not life threatening! Even if it was MS, it wouldnt be a huge deal - just another life changing event....so please- stop stressing and dont make yourself sick....so far, so good.
Let us know what you find out?
Nikki

The following user gives a hug of support to MSNik:
rplugs (07-25-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
rplugs (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

rplugs HB User

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, MSNik. Very helpful!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Wishing you the best!!! Let us know what your GP says!
Nikki

Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
(female)

rplugs HB User

Hi,
I think what has me most freaked out is that everything I read says that t2 hyperintensive lesions are MS plaques. Is that correct. MSNik, you noted that the lesions on my report are not such plaques, would you kindly tell how you know and if they were, what the report would say.

Thanks so much!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplugs View Post
Hi,
I think what has me most freaked out is that everything I read says that t2 hyperintensive lesions are MS plaques. Is that correct. MSNik, you noted that the lesions on my report are not such plaques, would you kindly tell how you know and if they were, what the report would say.

Thanks so much!
welcome.

Rather than being "freaked out", I would suggest that you put the report into the envelope or folder and wait until you can discuss the contents of the report with your doctor. Lesions can appear due to high fever, viral infections, etc. The typing of a lesion to determine its origin is still done by either biopsy of autopsy, neither of which any would welcome.

Your doctor will note through elimination of disease probabilities and whether new lesions appear as to a diagnosis of MS.

Your doctor is the only person in a position to tell you what the report means and what you should do.

Put the report away, and enjoy a day of self-pampering and relaxation. MS, if you have it, is not fatal and the worst thing you can do is to get stressed over the situation. I have had MS for over 33 years and I can most assuredly tell you that I am still enjoying life without worry.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Rplugs,
Jayhawk is right that the only person who should be interpreting your MRI is your doctor and again, I repeat, I am not one.....but the T2 is the type of scan ordered- the hyperintense lesion, since you didnt tell us if you had contrast, is simply NON SPECIFIC.
Had it shown specifically a mylenation, it would have said "in accordance with demylinating disease" it might have also said something to the effect of "consistent with Multiple Sclerosis". Because you had a GP order this, and not a neuro, the test either wasnt ordered correctly, or for whatever reason, your GP wanted to start with a general MRI of the brain. Contrast, should always be used with a MS MRI and always, they order both a brain and Cspine. Lesions can just as easily be found in the spinal area. If you have significant doubts about the interpretation, you have two choices, ask your doctor to refer you to a Neurologist, or make an appointment with a Neuro, take a copy of your MRI and report to him to be read and seek his opinion.

Just so you know, you can ALWAYS request a copy of your films (they usually give them to you on CD) to take for a second opinion...and you should keep a copy of your report as well. My Neuro wont read the radiologists report, swearing that he would rather interpret it himself. To date, his interpretation has always been more accurate than the radiologist's. He sees changes and things which the Radiologist doesnt note.

I really, honestly, wouldnt worry. There is nothing on your interpretation which suggests that there is any problem and by now if your doctor thought there was, he would be calling you! Further testing is in your future! Sorry about that part!
You need to take a day for yourself to stop worrying or you WILL make yourself sick...relax, see a movie, read a book, listen to music. But whatever you do, dont stress out over this, its not worth making yourself sick over.
Even if worst case it was MS- its a very livable disease!
Hugs, and strength.
Nikki

Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
(female)

rplugs HB User

Hi MSNik,
Thanks for your reply. Of course I know that feedback is just that and not a medical diagnosis. That is of course why we all visit the doctors. I have an appt with my GP and a Nuero next week. It is just nice to be able to get some subjective thoughts while I wait for my appointment. Trust me, if I had the ability to relax, I would. I am very OCD when it comes to anything health related. It consumes me. I know that is very hard to understand and grasp when one dooe not have that type of personality though. I would give anything to be able to let loose for a minute. It has been tough year which makes it more difficult.

Anyway, no, the MRI was without contrast. Usually the radiologist will note if they feel contrast is needed for an additional impression, that is my understanding at least. Also, my GP was not specifically looking for MS. He thought is was anxiety, yet wanted an MRI to rule out brain tumor, etc. Of course lesions and the feeling in my face, which is not painful and comes and goes, lead me to think it is MS. It is what it is and I am good at accepting a definite answer, it is just the unknown that impacts me greatly. Again, unless you are highly anxious/ocd, hard to totally get.
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Rplugs,
I had a feeling this wasnt done to rule out MS......and MS MRIs are almost always done with contrast. When a lesion is causing numbness/ tingling or pain/ gait issues, it glows under contrast, without the contrast, its impossible to know if a lesion is active or not.

im still sticking with if there was something suspect on this, there would be more to the impression.

I do know alot about anxiety, and I work with hospice patients so I deal with it daily....do you take any ativan or xanax, anything to help? Even I, who doesnt have anxiety problems, used Xanax in the beginning of my dx, to help me get thru some rough patches. There is nothing wrong with "taking the edge off" as long as you dont abuse it...6 years later, I still have a PRN prescription which usually gets filled once a year and hardly ever gets used. Im a type A person. Fulltime work, fulltime Grad school, a family, 3 kids- trust me, MS is manageable if you put your mind to it! But I dont think thats your issue....I think the spot that is noted is from a migrane, or previous infection. What is really the question is what is causing your pain? Have you had a good dental check up? An oral surgeon could do alot for you, as far as MRI-ing the face and jaw area- they can also tell you if its dental related...just a thought. TMJ and some other dental issues can cause that sort of pain.

Keep us posted and Im glad you are seeing a Neuro as well as a GP, maybe he will have something which will either put your mind at ease, or give you a new direction to go.... but please, try hard not to stress. Stress and anxiety can cause the body to do horrible things- and excaberate symptoms. You really need to tell yourself that this is out of your control and there is nothing to fear because you dont know anything.......predicting isnt going to help. Worrying isnt going to help....but there are ways to get this under control by talking yourself through it...I realize its MUCH harder to do than for me to say, but if you constantly remind yourself that you dont have anything to fear, you will control this.
Ill send you a prayer of strength..and please keep us posted.
Nikki

Closed Thread