It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
(female)

carbo29 HB User
Relapse???

Hi,
I just delivered my son 3 weeks ago and we knew there was a chance of me relapsing, but I'm not sure that I've ever experienced one and I'm frustrated because I can't seem to get a straight answer.
So I'm looking for some insight please.

Last night I suddenly became overwhelmingly fatigued and could barely get up my stairs, about an hour later I began having flu like pains throughout my body that were sometimes dull aches and at other times sharp stabbing sensations.

At some point in the middle of the night I began shaking uncontrollably because I was freezing. No matter how much I bundled up I could not get warm and was up all night. I was shivering so hard it was hurting me.

Then early this morning I started feeling like I was going to throw up and was dry heaving.

This all lasted about 14 hours and then began letting up. Now, my neuro told me if it doesn't last 24 hours it is not a true relapse. But, it's now 9pm and I've been fine for the last 6 hours but now the symptoms are kicking in again.

Does this count? Do I call my doctor? Can she even do anything? I had a bad reaction to steroids before so I am hesitant to go that way.

Just hoping someone can give me their opinion
thanks!

Old 08-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: Relapse???

Have you spoken to your OB? I am wondering if what you are expereincing is related to post-partum problems.

Your symptoms don't sound like MS but anything is possible. If it was MS the fact that it comes and goes and does not last 24 hours would not indicate a relapse. It's common for symptoms to come and go and not be a relapse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I would start where Snoopy pointed you. Even when you follow-up with the OB, you should make sure your neuro knows so everyone is "on the same page".

Congratulations on the birth of your son!!

Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 08-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
(female)

carbo29 HB User

Thank you guys. You said possible post partum symptoms, what could be causing it? This is my first so I'm learning as I go!

Old 08-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbo29 View Post
Thank you guys. You said possible post partum symptoms, what could be causing it? This is my first so I'm learning as I go!
I am not sure Carbo, I am truely guessing but I feel it is worth checking with your OB to be sure.

The overwhelming fatuge is really very common. It may be more pronounced since you have MS but being exhausted is part of giving birth, being a new mother and the lack of sleep from caring for a newborn.

You were freezing and shaking uncontrollaby --- I had the opposite expereince, I was so hot and would constantly sweat...it was my hormones, they were so out of wack. I don't know if the dull aches and stabbing sensations are all over or if you can pinpoint them to certain areas but you will have pains as the uterus goes back to normal.

I may be very wrong and maybe it is the MS but it sure wouldn't hurt to check with your OB first and then go from there.

If perchance you are or do have a relapse your choices would be steroids, symptom management meds or both or waiting it out

Hope you are feeling better soon and congratulations on your new baby.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy61 For This Useful Post:
carbo29 (08-20-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
(male)

sodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbo29 View Post
Just read your post to my wife who has been an OB nurse for 19 years. She said shaking- fatigue-cold-hot chills etc... are d/t
hormone changes. I remember her shivering so bad after having our kids that I would hold her to calm her down- then she would start sweating like crazy adn would start to feel better.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
(female)

carbo29 HB User

Thank you for the response, I hate to impose but does your wife know anything about the other symptoms? I keep trying to eat and no matter what I try I can't stomach it. I'm not throwing up but I can't get myself to eat. And my whole body hurts and headaches.
All I want to do is sleep. And I have severe vertigo.
Does she say these are symptoms too? Also, how long does it last?
thank you so much!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Carbo,
Please call your OB and your Neuro. You do not sound like you are having normal PP issues, it sounds more neurological. Vertigo is horrible. Many of us have been there and that is NOT something which is happening from delivering a baby....its quite possible that your hormones have thrown you into a relapse and its probably going to take some steroids or something to calm down the inflammation to get you "right" again.

Cant be dizzy and dropping the new baby now, can we?
Congrats on the birth of your son...and try NOT to worry about all of this. Its bad, but its not forever...he is. So, get yourself straightened out so you can be the best new mom possible.

Give your OB and your Neuro a call in the AM. I would actually start with the Neuro and insist that any meds he prescribes, he calls your OB to confirm...OR make sure you write down everything including dosages and call her yourself. They should ALWAYS be on the same page...if you are breast feeding, keep in mind that if the neuro orders you anything for the inflammation or the vertigo, this is probably going to affect your milk, so talk to your OB about this at length.

take care,
Nikki

Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Sodapopper gave you good advice. If you cannot see an OB straight away, please use the emergency room to get the requisite attention you need.

On the MS side of the equation, vertigo can squash your appetite. I have also found that I have cycled through periods where I have been unable to eat anything except breakfast cereal....mine was set off by smells. A week after and I am "normal" again.

Post delivery and your body starts shutting do the natural hormones that help to keep MS symptoms away. You can certainly crash, but you need to be sure nothing non-MS is happening. Do it for your child if not for yourself.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
(female)

carbo29 HB User

thanks everyone, I just called my OB and they said it sounds like I have an infection. They told me to come in first thing tomorrow and see them. I'm thinking possible inner ear, which I have had before but I'm not self diagnosing. Hopefully it's something quick and easy to fix not including steroids...

The following user gives a hug of support to carbo29:
Snoopy61 (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

Great News. Do give us an update- Good luck!!!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Carbo,

I am glad to hear you called your OB I will keep my fingers crossed it is a quick and easy fix.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
(female)

carbo29 HB User

Update- I went to my OB today and turns out I picked up the flu. They told me to adhere to the brat diet and take tylenol to keep down the fever and aches, and lots of rest.
So thank you everyone for your concern and fortunately it turned out to be something easily taken care of

Old 08-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

That is great news! I hope you get well soon!!

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
carbo29 (08-22-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 03:43 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yay!!! It's not a relapse! Really bad timing for you to get the flu but, there is no good time for the flu Take care of you and that little one; hope you feel better soon

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy61 For This Useful Post:
carbo29 (08-23-2011)
Closed Thread