It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
(female)

KingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB User
Rebif stops stinging???

Hi all, I've been on Rebif a little over 2 months now. I haven't missed a dose since I started. So far, the worst part of the injection (besides the idea of injection itself) has been the stinging as the medication is going in.

Well I did the shot on monday and this morning and it didn't sting at all either time. Is this normal? I'm not complaining at all!! Just wondering.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Rebif stops stinging???

Kingbaxter,
Ive been doing Rebif faithfully for 6 years now and I can only remember a few times when it DIDNT sting. I think that it stings less if you are more hydrated, and also if you use ice before the shot.....the longer you ice the area, the less the sting seems to be noticable. I also think now and then we just inject into the "right" area of our bodies which are more tolerant.

They started to bring out a new formula of Rebif in Europe, one which was supposedly less "stingy"- however it never made it to the US, we are still using the original formula. Not sure why it wasnt released here, but from what the MS Neuro told me, its no longer available in Europe either... Using the autoinjector seems to hurt more than using just the syringe, probably because you can inject it slower than the autoinjector ...but never the less, celebrate the fact that you had a lucky shot, unfortunately, I dont think this is the start of a trend. More than likely you will revisit the sting....sorry.
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
(female)

KingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB User

Thank you, Nikki. I figured as much. I've actually been having problems with my injector since last week and was wondering if Monday the med didn't even go in at all...but Wednesday I did it manually and it didnt sting then either. and i did that one on my leg where it always stings the most.
I received my new injector today so i have it for tomorrow. i am finally getting over the needle itself, but i hate pushing the med in. Not only because it stings, but because i just hate the idea of pushing some foreign fluid into my body. Well, i will see how it goes tomorrow.
Take care,
Sam

The Following User Says Thank You to KingBaxter For This Useful Post:
emmybiz04 (07-02-2012)
Old 08-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

A couple-three years ago, I was told by the MS nurse to try HEAT instead of ice and that REALLY helps.

I heat the site with a gelpac for at least five minutes, do the injection (with the injector), rub the site for at least a minute while cleaning up the trash, then I reappply the heat (I just use the resideual heat in the pack -- no re-heating) while I take notes.

Ice really helped when I was on Copaxone, but the heat really helps me with the Rebif. I dunno! I guess, like MS itself, everyone is different.

Closed Thread