It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

kwest4 HB User
Not feeling good

Monday I am going to see my Neurologist, and will hopefully be getting on some kind of meds or something. I am swollen and exhausted. Last night I couldn't focus on making something to eat. It took me forever. Are there any suggestions about how to get the swelling down? My left arm really burns inside and it feels floppy. It's hard for me to put in words how I'm feeling. As I was typing this acid came up into my throat from my stomach, and I started choking and my throat is burning. I've had some nerve pain in my neck lately and am not sure if this is related to MS.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Not feeling good

Hi, sorry to hear of your current problems. The acid may be acid reflux which would be unrelated to MS unless it was caused by something you could not or did not properly swallow. I have to sleep propped up on a slight incline, otherwise I have acid problems as well as choking problems. I have slept this way since 2004 and have never had the problem return.

Your swelling could be from your weather or your diet or both. You might try placing your arm up slightly to see if it helps reduce the swelling. You should also look at the foods you eat.

Inflammatory foods can include:
Sugars, common cooking oils, trans-fats, many dairy products (not all), beef, dark meat (venison and bison is ok), processed meat, alcohol, refined grains (white rice, white flour, products made with white rice or white flour), MSG, and any foods for which you might have an allergy. Removing this list of products from your diet might help. I try to follow the Swank Diet. After 1 year of no beef, I tried it, but I decided I did not need it. I eat venison, pork (white portion), Chicken Breast (no dark), Turkey (no dark), rabbit, fish......

You might also try immersing your arm in cold water or using an ice pack. Remember when using an ice pack to protect your skin from damage (I wrap a towel around my limb before applying an ice pack).

Monday will soon be here. Try to relax and focus on other things. Many have experienced or are experiencing what you are going through- it does get better!!!!!!

Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
kwest4 (08-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I wanted to add too that there are foods which cause choking for me. For example, I cannot eat apples, ice cream, certain nuts.....it varies. The choking caused acid to come up. Drinking ICE cold water through the day helps with my swallowing, but I still avoid my "choke list".

kwest4 (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
(female)

kwest4 HB User

Thank you, I also have problems with food sticking in my throat, and no matter how I try to swallow the food wont go down unless I drink some water which helps the food go down easier. This is something that started over a month ago. Prior to this, my daughter, who is an RN, noticed that I have delayed swallowing. Looking on the internet today, I saw some sites that claimed that GERD can be related to MS, but I'm going to talk to the Neurologist and find out what he thinks. Most, if not all, of my symptoms seem to be related to the brain stem and these sites claim that nerves at the brain stem can become demyelinated bringing about GERD.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Kwest, you should talk to your Neuro about having a swallowing evaluation done. Your daughter, Im sure, can explain in more detail how its done, but its an easy test and wil determine if its your throat, the muscles, or if its "in your head" as in - from the MS. Its a really helpful tool and most Neuros will order one, which can be done outpatient at any hospital.

You might also talk to your doctor on Monday about doing a round of IV steroids...it will take the inflammation down and your arm should feel better. When was the last MRI you had? Its possible you are having a relapse.

You really do need to be checked out and Monday is as good a time as any! I sincererly hope you feel better soon!
Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
kwest4 (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

I agree. Mine is MS related. Your neuro can certainly tell you if yours is MS related.

Please do give us an update when you know.

kwest4 (08-25-2011)
Closed Thread