It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
(male)

HurdyGurdyMan HB User
Everything falls asleep easily.

Do you MSr's have this problem:

It doesn't seem to matter how I sit, but my legs will fall asleep fairly easily. If I cross my legs when sitting, they fall asleep very quickly. I was mowing the lawn today and when I clasped the bar to push the mower for a while, my hands would fall asleep and become numb. When I use my controller to play video games, a lot of the time, my hands will become numb and feel like they are burning. My hands and shoulders fall asleep when I'm sleeping. I often wake up from this. My feet will fall asleep if I am sitting or standing for a while. I get the pins and needles feeling in most of my extremities when very little pressure is applied.

Is this common? Is it common for extremities to "fall asleep" so easily?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Everything falls asleep easily.

Yes, This is common, for me at least. This is one of the reasons my neuro warned me off of machinery and it keeps me out of work. I was teaching my oldest some welding a few years ago when a hot piece of metal landed on my foot. I did not feel it until it had burned my flesh and the smell alerted me. The scar is a reminder for me.

Some of my extremities can be "revived" with cold water. As for the push mower, I delegated that to my son. I use a riding mower with hand controls. When my hands are numb or "asleep" I try to revive them to continue safe handling. The kitchen is pretty much off limits.

For video games- "Dad"- is no longer able to challenge his boys, but I do enjoy playing and will play until the hand starts to fall asleep or go numb. That is when I stop.

There is a learning and an adjustment to which you have to employ for your new "normal". The key point is to avoid accidents which are the MSers enemy. Your "sleepy" extremities phase may disappear for awhile. I certainly hope this happens for you!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
HurdyGurdyMan (09-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
(male)

HurdyGurdyMan HB User

Thanks for the reply Mr. Jayhawk.

What about muscle and joint pain? Are these some things you have to deal with?

I used to work as a plastic extruder operator, 12 hour shift. Of course we walked on hard concrete floors all day. I could barely walk at the end of the day. I mean, my legs were so stiff and painful. I know concrete can do "wonders" to the body when it's a platform you work on, but I couldn't figure out why my legs were so stiff and painful at the end of the work day for only being 25 at the time. When I got home and got out of my car, I had to hobble to the front door.

Yesterday I mowed the lawn as you know and it took maybe three hours. My knees and leg muscles felt like garbage. I have been trying to work out as well. I would feel okay during the workout, but afterwords, everything felt achy and stiff. The problem is that after every workout I ALWAYS feel achy and stiff. It's not like it's my first time working out in a while and my body is adjusting.

My body aches most of the time and lately I have been getting this "water", "burning" like feeling in my thigh.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Thanks again for the reply.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Yes, I am quite familiar with what you are feeling. I am still dealing with some lingering joint pain in my left leg. It is better, but after a day on campus with my youngest son, I am really in pain. It was 10 out of 10 for over 2 weeks. The attacks on my lower body have been on my left side and it has disabled my left leg. I use hand controls in my truck.

For my leg and hip and elbow joint pain I have found that for me the heating pad is the best pain relief. In fact, the pain "melts away" within 5 minutes of application. I keep the heat on because when the area cools, I am in severe pain until the cycle ends. My cycles have lasted as long as 6 months.

I have 4 acres to mow, so I use my ZTR. My oldest mows the front area of the house. It takes him 30 minutes. It takes me about 3 hours to do the same with the push mower. And like you, i am shot afterward.

I was into powerlifting before 2002. Since then my legs and arms are not able to do the lifts. I use a passive Exercycle. Even with the passive exercise I can be left exhausted. You have to learn to recognize the tipping point and stop before you have gone too far. I can tell when I am on the Exercycle or walking with my service dogs. I stop and take a break. If you push past the tipping point, your recovery time increases (at least for me).

Concrete is not a friend to anyone. Some inserts in your shoes can make a big difference. My MS started when I was at least 14. I worked in a dairy and the milking room was all concrete. I had inserts and a stool to sit on.

One thing that will help you is stretching. This helps alleviate many pains and helps your muscle groups better perform.

HurdyGurdyMan (09-10-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
(female)

KingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB User

Hey, just wondering, i wake up a lot of mornings with one or both hands under my pillow which is under my head. A lot of times my hand(s) under the pillow will be asleep. As soon as i wake up and put my hand down to get the circulation flowing, it goes back to normal immediately. That sounds pretty normal to me but please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBaxter View Post
Hey, just wondering, i wake up a lot of mornings with one or both hands under my pillow which is under my head. A lot of times my hand(s) under the pillow will be asleep. As soon as i wake up and put my hand down to get the circulation flowing, it goes back to normal immediately. That sounds pretty normal to me but please let me know what you think. Thanks!
If your hand goes back to normal, I think it is probably a circulation issue. If your hand stays asleep, then there is, I believe, a nerve issue. I have awoken, like you, and my hand recovers just as yours. Other times, however, it does not recover. When those times occur I submerge my hand (or hands) in cold water. During the winter I often wear insulated gloves indoors and outdoors. At temperatures below 52 F (11.11 C), my hands start going numb or asleep or start hurting.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
(female)

KingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB User

Thank you! Ive bee noticing it more since my dx, and tyhis morning happened to notice that i only had one hand under the pillow/my head when i woke up and only that had was numb. The second i put it down it went back to normal. I think it's circulation also. Thanks for the response.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
(male)

HurdyGurdyMan HB User

My limbs will gradually go back to normal, but it might takes a couple of minutes or more. MS can affect the circulatory system, can it not?

This stuff seriously sucks. It has not become debilitating, yet. It's only an annoyance. Like I have posted before: I have not been officially diagnosed with MS. I haven't even been to the doctor in over a year and a half. Everything tells me I have MS, though. I have too much going on. I need a diagnosis so people will stop thinking I'm spinning yarns. Just because they can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Did or does anyone in your family have MS, Jayhawk? My grandfather on my mothers side had it and died from it. Can MS be genetically linked?

Thanks again!

Old 09-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

In the 1890s, it was believed that it was caused by the suppression of sweat and therefore treated with herbs and bed rest. In the 1940s, blood clots and poor circulation was theorized to be the cause and treated with drugs that would improve circulation. The Blood theory is back again in the issue of CCVSI.

The truth is that doctors have yet to determine what the trigger is for MS. It is not a blood circulation disease because there is no evidence. Were it a blood borne disease, we would not have to endure the gauntlet of tests.

Looking back at my teen years I know that I was often called clumsy or uncoordinated, but I now know it was my MS. Yes, people will spin yarns regarding the veracity of your situation. I learned that it is best to ignore those individuals. You know something is wrong and you are proactive in your search for answers. This is all that matters. MS remains an invisible disease for many even after diagnosis. You will continue to meet people who will doubt you. Again, learn to ignore them because you know the truth.

For me, over 20 years passed before the truly outward disability signs presented. I had issues before then, but people ignored them or did not take note. The road you are on is full of disbelievers. I know, I passed them on my way down the same road. MS can disable, but I think it is more of an annoyance which I have to deal with each day. Be strong!

I have traced my family tree back 27 generations so far. I am the only one with MS. MS has no clear genetic inheritance links, BUT there is evidence for a genetic predisposition to develop MS although what it is remains unknown. Even with the predisposition, the incidence of MS remains quite low.

HurdyGurdyMan (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
(male)

HurdyGurdyMan HB User

So my latest problem.......

I was doing some physical activity and I started getting a sharp pain in my knee. After working for a while, my left leg started getting pretty weak. I went inside and sat down for a while to take a break. I stood up from the couch and my legs, especially my left, felt like jello. I put all of my weight on my left leg while standing, and it would hardly support me! It started popping up and down like a machine gun! It was crazy, the shaking from my left leg was actually making the floor and wall items rattle. Then I noticed my left foot was partially numb. I couldn't feel the subtleties of the carpet or the cold temp of the wood floor. It was like I could only feel a fraction of what I normally would. Since I have been walking with this leg, it has felt like it's not completely there (hard to describe). It also feels like my the numb foot is not flexing as I walk, but it just remains flat.

It's been about 5 days since this happened and my foot has slowly regained feeling. I also have had this "wet, cold" feeling go up and down my thigh and shin of the same leg.

I think you have probably given me just about as much advice or sympathy as you can give, Mr. Jayhawk, and I appreciate all of it. I guess the next step is to get to my family physician so he can refer me to someone......groan.

Seriously, my leg was bouncing around like it had a mind of its own when I applied weight. Rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat!!!

Thanks again. I would love to hear any more words of wisdom you might have.

Hope your Jayhawks are winning games. My Spartans just lost to the Irish. Ugh!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

I watched your Spartans play the Irish. The Jayhawk Football team is an oxymoron. Jayhawk basketball is the only consistency we have!!

Your knee pain can definitely be due to nerve damage. My left leg has been "dragging" for several years now. Currently I am in another left leg cycle of nerve pain, numbness, and weakness. The previous time I had numbness from my knee to my toes and severe pain throughout the thigh, hip and glute. This time I had only nerve pain in my knee and hip. My knee pain is pretty much gone, but my hip pain remains, though it is no longer 24/7. Fortunately, my pain responds to my heating pad which makes the pain melt away like butter on hot toast.

If you cannot get your family physician to refer you, you might enlist the assistance of your local MS chapter (either the MS Association or MS Society). I think your family physician should have no problem referring you to a neuro, just ask for a referral to a neuro who deals with MS. Your family physician can order tests for you which will save time when you do see a neuro. There might be a 6 month wait to see a neuro and you could have most of your testing done before the first appointment.

Stay strong. The Spartans did not look bad and they are certainly better than the Jayhawks. I think Georgia Tech scored 6 points...not pretty!!

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 09-19-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: oops

Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
(female)

Yolanda72 HB User

I have been trying to post in the ms area here and have so many symptoms and with you being diagnosed with ms I thought maybe you could help me??? I could maybe send you what i wanted to post? im desprate here, Please could you send me a pivate msg so maybe I could msg back and forth to you?
btw.. I am very sorry for your ms, truly I am. I just thought that maybe you could help me?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda72 View Post
I have been trying to post in the ms area here and have so many symptoms and with you being diagnosed with ms I thought maybe you could help me??? I could maybe send you what i wanted to post? im desprate here, Please could you send me a pivate msg so maybe I could msg back and forth to you?
btw.. I am very sorry for your ms, truly I am. I just thought that maybe you could help me?
Tried to message you, but you have not turned that option on (your account settings). You can always post your own thread too.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

King your hands falling asleep or losing circulation while sleeping is sort of normal because its an extremity. I have very poor muscles in my back and shoulders and low and behold if I don't roll over and sleep on them. I wake up in the middle of the night with my shoulder locked up LOL. You would think after 15 years I would learn not to sleep on them. I wake up squalling like baby it hurts so bad. This condition has nothing at all to do with my MS, but my hands will do the same. I don't place them under the pillow but they usually hang off the bed. (not to swift either LOL) I think your good, maybe try to train them at night you don't want to get yourself into the positions I'm in with the pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to iluv For This Useful Post:
KingBaxter (09-29-2011)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
(female)

zeror1213 HB User

I have a question for all of you...
Before I was diagnosed with MS I have issue with the cold. My hands would go numb and swell and turn white. Even at the slightest dip in tempature even my ears would swell. Does this sound somewhat familar to any of you??

Closed Thread