It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
(female)

Deb_Boston HB User
Severe mental fatigue, weird consciousness

I have these weird spells nearly everyday that range from many minutes to several hours..It is like I have a severe head cold with intense fatigue and sometime vertigo.. It is like someone slipped me a drug and my brain is trying to slip into a deep dream. It is not by any means a healthy sleepy feeling, nor is it a normal one. It ranges from uncomfortable to severely disabling. It remains my primary complaint of my life with MS. The only thing that really helps this is a real good nap. But these spells happen in the middle of the day so that is not always an option for me.

Before you say it, it is NOT my sleep at night..I sleep like a rock every night. It is not a sleeping disorder either..I have had all the tests ruling them out. They also ruled out seizures. That leaves me to believe that is is just how MS effects me.

It is very frustrating though...because no one can really relate to me..I have never read anything on the internet of anyone having spells that sound like mine. It is a very isolating feeling.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hamfrie HB Userhamfrie HB User
Re: Severe mental fatigue, weird consciousness

Hi Debbie, Is this a new, recent thing? I had this leading up to a rather nasty cognitive relapse. I am not saying you are heading for a relapse but I know exactly the sensation you mean. I had a feeling like my head was full and it hurt to think, I felt like I was not quite there and that everyday tasks that should take little brain power suddenly were like the most challenging things in the world. I did get sleepy sometimes with it but sometimes I was wide awake. It all came to a head when I got a cognitive relapse and since then I have not had these daily events like I used to. I would also have minutes to hours of being in this weird fog, it was horrible. I am sorry you are experiencing it. If you ever need to chat I am here x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Just wanted to add......drink plenty of water throughout the day, this will help with blood flow. I would also advise taking a baby aspirin daily to see if it helps.
75mg (they are available over the counter and should not cause any major bleeding risks as its such a low dose)
I believe sometimes our blood with MS gets a bit sticky and thicker than it should due to inflammation (which causes a clotting cascade)
If you have a willing Dr ask for a full blood count, clotting profile tests including antiphoslipid antibodies and fibrinogen levels. Mine came back abnormal and have been on blood thinners since x

Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

It can certainly be how MS affects you. When I am rolling towards mental exhaustion I sometimes feel as though a head cold is coming on. Most of my symptoms are slurred or stuttering speech, unintelligible words (or wrong words), and difficulty in following a conversation. Once multitasking was nothing, but nowadays, I can get frustrated when my mental state needs a rest.

I have a pair of shooting ear protection. I wear them to silence the noise, especially when the pulsatile tinnitus is affecting me.

I think that you need to be able to withdraw to a place where you can relax. I call my place- my room- my fortress of solitude. I can close my door, listen to some music, watch a DVD, or anything which allows my mind to relax and my brainwaves to slow down.

Vertigo can be part of the mental exhaustion or it can be a separate MS or inner ear problem.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
(female)

cjk55 HB User

You are not alone! Its so weird that i can't find words to explain to my doctor or family whats happening all i keep saying is "i feel weird,like i'm on some kind of weird drug" you've come pretty close to explaining the weirdness going on in our heads-i freaked out when i read your message!! I'm sorry its happening to you to but at the same time i'm happy to know someone has somewhat of a clue whats happening in my messed up head! Its an awful feeling can not cope with other people because of it either -by the way does your eyesight get more blurrier when its happening?

Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Yes my eyesight went in my left eye just after I had gone through cognitive relapse.
I am having a bit of brain fog again and my left eye the colours have faded....everything is smokey

Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
(male)

think77 HB User

You're not alone. I have MS and the worst part of it is the effects on my consciousness. I seem to have a giddy background continually. I've quite bad problems focusing and can't hold too much in the way of short term memories. I wish someone would be able to tell me what is happening, but even the (very good) neurologist seemed wrong footed when I asked him. I guess it's just the cards we've been dealt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_Boston View Post
I have these weird spells nearly everyday that range from many minutes to several hours..It is like I have a severe head cold with intense fatigue and sometime vertigo.. It is like someone slipped me a drug and my brain is trying to slip into a deep dream. It is not by any means a healthy sleepy feeling, nor is it a normal one. It ranges from uncomfortable to severely disabling. It remains my primary complaint of my life with MS. The only thing that really helps this is a real good nap. But these spells happen in the middle of the day so that is not always an option for me.

Before you say it, it is NOT my sleep at night..I sleep like a rock every night. It is not a sleeping disorder either..I have had all the tests ruling them out. They also ruled out seizures. That leaves me to believe that is is just how MS effects me.

It is very frustrating though...because no one can really relate to me..I have never read anything on the internet of anyone having spells that sound like mine. It is a very isolating feeling.

Last edited by think77; 06-18-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Messed up original posting

Old 06-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
(male)

think77 HB User

My right eye has the same, but the overall vision is now out of alignment with the left eye. I'm tempted to have the right eye disconnected to stop the resultant confusion.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by think77 View Post
You're not alone. I have MS and the worst part of it is the effects on my consciousness. I seem to have a giddy background continually.
Uncontrollable laughter or crying can be MS symptoms. I do not know if this is what you meant by your giddy background continually. If your emotional outbursts are out of place for a given situation, it could very well be your MS. MS affects our nervous system which is connected to our emotional controls. A lesion or a nerve repair following a lesion could lead to misdirected signals which lead to uncontrollable emotions.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
(male)

think77 HB User
Angry Re: Severe mental fatigue, weird consciousness

I haven't noticed much in the way of emotional disturbances (as you've mentioned). I get depression, irritated easily, angry etc. I guess we all get these type of symptoms. Patience wears thin easily.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by think77 View Post
I haven't noticed much in the way of emotional disturbances (as you've mentioned). I get depression, irritated easily, angry etc. I guess we all get these type of symptoms. Patience wears thin easily.
All of your symptoms can be attributable to stress or your body's reaction to the stress. When irritability, etc. increase or feel as though they are building, I will retire to my "man cave" or "fortress of solitude" and rest. The time for resting alone really works for me and I am able to avoid hurting someone's feelings or creating a misunderstanding.

Closed Thread